Pekin CAN stand, but CAN'T walk.

dot n'dave

Songster
10 Years
Jan 11, 2010
CT
Sorry if this seems repetitive, but all the other posts I've read, seem to be about younger birds and/or non-duck related.

We were given three Pekins over a month ago, to add to our flock. They are about two years old and were seemingly healthy.

Yesterday at feeding time one was trying to walk but kept falling over. We checked her out and she looks fine. No cuts or swelling.

The legs don't go out to the side like spraddled legs would. If anything, the sometimes point straight back, as if she were trying to be superman. I also don't think spraddled leg would show up this late in her life.

I'm wondering if it's a deficiency. I did gradually change them over to what we feed everybody else, which is Blue Seal layer pellets. And that has been working well for everybody else.

I'm wondering if it may be a sprain, because there is one Muscovy that is pretty bossy and chases them around. Maybe she tripped on something.

Or perhaps it's something genetic like "Weak Legs". If so, can it be corrected?

She is separated right now, and stands in her holding, but walking isn't an option right now.

Here are a few initial thoughts:

pinched nerve? eggbound?

If it's nutrient deficiency, then some poultry vitamins/electrolytes/probiotics may help.

A sprain or slipped tendon?

Any overly aggressive drakes?

A aggresive drake could make that happen
hide.gif

I have a pekin duck that gets weak and has difficulty walking when she is lacking calcium. As soon as I give her oyster shell she is better within a short time. I haven't had any issues with her being egg bound yet
fl.gif
. I have four ducks and one drake. She is the only one that has issues, the others never do. Some just seem to need more then others, I guess...
hu.gif
Not sure if you offer oyster shell or not but as long as I have some available there are no problems....

dot n'dave :

Sorry if this seems repetitive, but all the other posts I've read, seem to be about younger birds and/or non-duck related.

We were given three Pekins over a month ago, to add to our flock. They are about two years old and were seemingly healthy.

Yesterday at feeding time one was trying to walk but kept falling over. We checked her out and she looks fine. No cuts or swelling.

The legs don't go out to the side like spraddled legs would. If anything, the sometimes point straight back, as if she were trying to be superman. I also don't think spraddled leg would show up this late in her life.

I'm wondering if it's a deficiency. I did gradually change them over to what we feed everybody else, which is Blue Seal layer pellets. And that has been working well for everybody else.

I'm wondering if it may be a sprain, because there is one Muscovy that is pretty bossy and chases them around. Maybe she tripped on something.

Or perhaps it's something genetic like "Weak Legs". If so, can it be corrected?

She is separated right now, and stands in her holding, but walking isn't an option right now.

Try adding brewers yeast to the ducks diet, it would be missing in a chicken layer feed and the ducks need it. Check the knees for hot spots (slipped tendon and sprains sometimes are warm/hot) you can actually feel the tendon run down the back of the knee. Has a similar feel to the tendons in the back of your own knee.

Slipped tendons can be wrapped with cobane/vet wrap for stability while healing.​

Thanks for the swift replies.
smile.png
We are leaning more towards lameness from possibly too much calcium and perhaps lack of vitamins. We are feeding them layer when they really don't even need it anymore. It just seems so difficult to find actual water fowl feed in my area in one bag. So we're going to switch to a flock raiser. Something with less calcium.

As for drake aggressiveness. There's only one. Other than the BEI drake we have, but he has his seven girls.

She doesn't seem to have any pain, that might be linked to an injury. Just difficulty walking.

So any other input is still appreciated, and we'll keep you updated. Thanks.

Today she doesn't seem to be doing any better. Maybe getting worse. Now she's not interested in eating, and not drinking a whole lot.
hmm.png
I'm not sure what to think.

dot n'dave :

Today she doesn't seem to be doing any better. Maybe getting worse. Now she's not interested in eating, and not drinking a whole lot.
hmm.png
I'm not sure what to think.

From what I've read because of their size Pekins can have leg problems, I would reccommend getting Nutri Drench and adding it to her water, It gets into the blood stream really fast and has all kinds of good stuff to help them recover from injuries, molting etc.​

Has she been laying at all since you got her? Can she see the other ducks? Sometimes they get pretty upset when they are separated from one another. Can you let her swim in warm water? Need to know if there is a possibility that she is egg-bound - I've seen on the boards that a swim in warm water is helpful... if she can't see or be with the other ducks- is this stressing her - can you put one with her for company?

Back
Top Bottom