Pekin drake delimma

Miss Red

Songster
9 Years
Apr 26, 2010
Trinity, Texas
I have 18 eggs in the bator out of my Pekin drake, over my Cayuga girls... Unfortunately, he is now my only (live) duck and is a total terror. Before, he was a gentleman. Helped the girls when they sat, helped them find nests, guarded them... But, I went hog hunting and had a sitter. She accidentally forgot to lock up the ducks pen, and now I only have the drake. He is literally killing my free range hens, and will harm himself to near death if I pen him up. He's such a sweet drake when he has girls, I'm at a loss. He needs to find a home with lots and lots of new girls, soon, or he's going to freezer camp.

I locked him up after I found him getting on and loving a (recently) dead hen. I put two and two together and decided his big self was crushing my little (2 - 3 lb) clarets. My remaining game hens are now in the breeder pens with the roosters, for their safety, in case he gets loose somehow. He killed FOUR hens in the past week... Literally rushed them. One of them had just hatched 10 Delawares for me. UGH.

Just in case I wasn't clear: If anyone needs a drake, and has at least 5 hens for him, PLEASE let me know. He was such a good drake before his ladies left him. I'm so mad about this. He has until the next time roos head for freezer camp (about 10 days) to find a home or he will be joining them. He will be a year old in April, and is pet quality... Sorry, but I don't think I have pictures of him.

Back
Top Bottom