Pekin Duck Club!

Here's my little 3 week fatty! Pretty sure it's a she, as her voice is getting hoarse.... Start of a quack?

sorry for such a long post guys have a bit of catching up to do trying to get to everybody. I hope everyone stocks are doing well and they are too!
New babies! An older but absolute favorite of mine! And our special baby Peggy-O!
what's with the green on pEggy o's nose
First time with ducks. These are my two piper and Gordie Quaack. They are a month old tomorrow. Iv had them on the chick starter from Tractor supply but I'm wondering if there is another.. I guess better feed I could give them instead. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
I am by far a veteran producs but from reading everything I have on this website and others I use natural crumbles from the local feed store I don't know if you have a farm supply or a feed store close to your area just some insight on what we use and what I've read hope it helps and good luck
Another question. One of my ducks quacks but I never see who it is. That's the female, right? And is it OK to give your ducks dried mealworms?
we give our 8 duckies about to large handfuls of dry Mealies in the morning and in the evening. the lady at our seed store said as long as we don't supplement them for food or as well as the Ducks don't discontinue eating due to the Treats, mealworms are a great snack
I need help! My pejin showed signs of having trouble walking today, so I rushed to the store for niacin tablets, and the ONLY ones that they had were flush free
1f615.png
will this do get any good? If not, what can I do?? None of the stores near me carry the normal tablets, or Brewers yeast
looks like you've gotten some good advice already. and I don't know how true this is but in more than one occasion I've read that and non flush is OK. in small doses. as far as the brewer's yeast if you have a whole foods or a natural food store near you that would be your best bet Walmart also carries brewers yeast. it's in the vitamin aisle and comes in a large container powdered form. I've always found it very odd that TSC and feed stores don't carry this item.
My babies got a new bigger pool and a bag of minnows today cause it's their first night in the coop with the chickens... Lol imma cry :'( I even put a night light in the coop because they are afraid of the dark lol. Im bad!!! I don't wanna let my little babies leave the nest, but
they're big kids now... Lol
oh I'm just as bad as you we've got a docs ranging in age from 6 weeks 23 weeks and since the weather has gotten so much nicer they are all outside I'm having separation anxiety. We also have a night light for their indoor outdoor which also serves as a heat source their abs terrified of the dark. it's quite funny when it's time to put them to bed they happily followed the flashlight from wherever they are to "go home".
They lay eggs in the pool? That's quite the water birth
last year we had to ruins a male and a female she would usually lay her eggs in various spots inside for two, which we would harvest every morning. ugly towards the last two weeks before her tragic death she to started laying eggs in the pool. we of course didn't use them come back then I had no idea about this website... any idea why they lay eggs in the pool? it seemed to me that all of the eggs that she did lay in the pool work. Softer and a bit deformed. Could it have been her way all rejecting bad eggs.

There is also a duck sticky about what vegetables they can have. I found my babies are quite fond of various types of lettuce. I bought some young plants grow to provide Walter flax but of course the heathens devoured everything within a week...

hey all im working on a pond for my wifes ducks but i need to know what kind of plants they would like anty suggestions ?

Last edited:
I was going to upload some pics from my phone but it will not let me. Any Galaxy s5 owner know the trick? The "uupload from device" button is there but just won't open my pics

I think also that you have to have so many posts on here before they allow you to start posting pics. Believe it's 10 posts. I guess something to do with preventing spam?

what's with the green on pEggy o's nose
It was how they marked the males when we had them sexed...We wish it would have been smaller but it wore off within a week or so...I thought she wore it well!

And Peggy-O is the crested below, the baby was Shirley, an uncrested Jumbo Pekin! She was a pair of jumbo girls we called Laverne and Shirley but Laverne was improperly sexed and was actually a Larry! :)

Last edited:
It was how they marked the males when we had them sexed...We wish it would have been smaller but it wore off within a week or so...I thought she wore it well!

And Peggy-O is the crested below, the baby was Shirley, an uncrested Jumbo Pekin! She was a pair of jumbo girls we called Laverne and Shirley but Laverne was improperly sexed and was actually a Larry! :)

sorry for the name mix up, but what a clever idea. they all of course are adorable especially the crested.

Our two oldest Pekings, the only ones that were sexed when we got them supposedly a male and a female lucky for us believed female have a natural black spot On the back of her head. she still hasn't Quaked yet but if she does we will be able to tell her apart easily

I was going to upload some pics from my phone but it will not let me. Any Galaxy s5 owner know the trick? The "uupload from device" button is there but just won't open my pics
You have to give the app access to your photo gallery, you probably pushed no the first time it popped up. If you go to settings >privacy> photos and allow the byc app access there should be a slider

sorry for the name mix up, but what a clever idea. they all of course are adorable especially the crested.

Our two oldest Pekings, the only ones that were sexed when we got them supposedly a male and a female lucky for us believed female have a natural black spot On the back of her head. she still hasn't Quaked yet but if she does we will be able to tell her apart easily
Now that we learned how to sex them, we sex between 20-40 chicks a week and use the standard blue and pink!

Last edited:
Now that we learned how to sex them, we sex between 20-40 chicks a week and use the standard blue and pink!
After watching videos after videos... when we first got the others, I very gently tried my hand at sexing.... either I've got ALL females, or a. Didn't do it correctly, b. Couldn't tell the difference

Back
Top Bottom