Pekin Duck Club!

Thanks ladies for checking out the website. The spots on JoJo's bill are so tiny, I thought it was dirt/mud at first. I don't think its anything to worry about but I'll keep a close eye on it. Lily's nail came off the rest of the way itself, it isn't bugging her at all. I'll soak her feet in Epsom salt wants the dh gets home. Too hard with Ryleigh trying to run up and down their ramps! The only other thing that I'm a tad concerned about is JoJo's weight. He seems so light. Lily is 3 times his weight, I've noticed that from the moment I've got her. So I dunno if he's just light compared to her. He runs around like crazy. For a pekin he can actually get a few feet off the ground when flying because he's light. He eats a lot of veggies, is constantly on the go, hes fit and healtht! Yet I know birds hide illnesses well and I've been ridiculously paranoid since I had to put Charlie down. Worms could make him lose weight, right? Maybe I'm just thinking that because everyone was just talking about deworming their ducks. There is nothing in his poo but I know not all worms can be seen. :th

Thanks ladies for checking out the website. The spots on JoJo's bill are so tiny, I thought it was dirt/mud at first. I don't think its anything to worry about but I'll keep a close eye on it. Lily's nail came off the rest of the way itself, it isn't bugging her at all. I'll soak her feet in Epsom salt wants the dh gets home. Too hard with Ryleigh trying to run up and down their ramps! The only other thing that I'm a tad concerned about is JoJo's weight. He seems so light. Lily is 3 times his weight, I've noticed that from the moment I've got her. So I dunno if he's just light compared to her. He runs around like crazy. For a pekin he can actually get a few feet off the ground when flying because he's light. He eats a lot of veggies, is constantly on the go, hes fit and healtht! Yet I know birds hide illnesses well and I've been ridiculously paranoid since I had to put Charlie down. Worms could make him lose weight, right? Maybe I'm just thinking that because everyone was just talking about deworming their ducks. There is nothing in his poo but I know not all worms can be seen. :th

How does his keel bone feel compared to the other ducks?

-Kathy

How does his keel bone feel compared to the other ducks?

-Kathy

There's only one other duck and as I said, she is my much heavier then him. But also a year older and farm raised as livestock on only duck feed and cracked corn. Only, and when I first got her she would have ate all day if I let her. It was disgusting, so was her poo but her coat wasn't shiny, she looked ragged and dirty. I've had her 3 weeks and she looks wonderful now. Point being, I really don't feel any bones on him but I wasn't trying too. Sorry to say but I don't even know what or where the keel bone is. I'm new to this, I just got him in April so he's only around 6-6.5 months old...lol and my dh thinks I'm a duck expert with everything I know, he has no idea the extent of it. Plz explain and I will go check him now

There's only one other duck and as I said, she is my much heavier then him. But also a year older and farm raised as livestock on only duck feed and cracked corn. Only, and when I first got her she would have ate all day if I let her. It was disgusting, so was her poo but her coat wasn't shiny, she looked ragged and dirty. I've had her 3 weeks and she looks wonderful now. Point being, I really don't feel any bones on him but I wasn't trying too. Sorry to say but I don't even know what or where the keel bone is. I'm new to this, I just got him in April so he's only around 6-6.5 months old...lol and my dh thinks I'm a duck expert with everything I know, he has no idea the extent of it. Plz explain and I will go check him now
Breast bone https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keel_(bird_anatomy)

Miss Lydia already got to how to find the keel, but I just wanted to mention that it might not be that JoJo is thin but that Lily is fat. Remember me telling you that corn is very fattening and should be fed sparingly if at all in warm months? Considering the way they were feeding her, she might be somewhat overweight, and of course she's also considerably older than JoJo.

Miss Lydia already got to how to find the keel, but I just wanted to mention that it might not be that JoJo is thin but that Lily is fat. Remember me telling you that corn is very fattening and should be fed sparingly if at all in warm months? Considering the way they were feeding her, she might be somewhat overweight, and of course she's also considerably older than JoJo.

Honestly, that's what I was thinking. That's why I mentioned she's older and how she was raised, etc

Quote: Glad you posted the link... sometimes I forget that people might not know.
hide.gif

-kathy

Back
Top Bottom