Pekin Duck Club!

how do you have a duck in the house? I've been wondering that....

Ducky diapers hah that's the only way to have a clean house with a duck indoors. But once she's diapered she can run around the house, cuddle in bed with me, sit and watch tv. She also has a car seat and a stroller so it helps keep those clean as well. Soleil wears Feathzered Fashions harnesses as well as ones I make her which are no where as good as FF! Functionable and cute

http://fashionmyfeathers.com

Okay, so little ones are 24 hours old. I watched the You Tube videos on how to sex them. I started with 10 eggs, I dropped one. Then I only had room for 7 in the 'bator. (I only ordered 6...the seller sent extra.) So, in went the 7. Yesterday, in a matter of 4 hours, 5 hatched. (One quit early and one I think is a no. I am leaving it in the bator for a few more days).

So, I have my light and my magnifying glass, I do the vent thing, and I don't see any male parts. Could it be that all of them are female? I just think that it would be odd. I understand each egg has a 50/50 chance...but 5/5 females? Should I try again? Is there another way to tell?
You may not have pressed hard enough. With my first time sexing I was worried I would hurt the duckling, but had to press a little harder to get the little boy part to show. Or you could be extremly lucky lol

Alright...another question....
I had 6 eggs...5 hatched on Wednesday...they are all doing fine in the brooder. I had one egg left in the 'bator. This egg decided to come to life Friday. On Sunday...even though there was a pip and we could see the beak coming in and out, there was no progress.DH and I decided to help. The chick got out of the shell. I should mention that the eggs were from a mixed flock of crested/non crested pekins.

I took the duck out of the the incubator after a few hours to look at her. It appears she has 4 protrusions on her head. I don''t know but from I have read it appears that crested have ONE protuberance, but it seems like it is sort of contained. Her feet appear to be bound, meaning that they are not spread out like the others. I do not think she can stand. She is still in the incubator just laying there.

I really hate this, but I think I am going to have to cull her in the AM if no one has any suggestions. That being said, maybe I am just trying to rationalize culling the little duckling.

Hello Pekin club members! I have two Pekins and am looking for help with helping them hatch some ducklings of there own. They have tried very hard, building big fluffy nests for their eggs, and the hen sitting faithfully while her partner stands guard. The hen is prolific, she lays 2 eggs a night, and I have seen them breeding. The eggs are fertile, I have even tried them in the incubator but get no development, and the eggs I opened after they left the nest show none as well. Poor mama duck is frustrated and last year she stalked the broodies around the yard and tried to steal their chicks! She would sneak up, grab one and run! This behavior was not appreciated by my broodies. I felt so sorry for her.
Any Ideas?

Hello Pekin club members! I have two Pekins and am looking for help with helping them hatch some ducklings of there own. They have tried very hard, building big fluffy nests for their eggs, and the hen sitting faithfully while her partner stands guard. The hen is prolific, she lays 2 eggs a night, and I have seen them breeding. The eggs are fertile, I have even tried them in the incubator but get no development, and the eggs I opened after they left the nest show none as well. Poor mama duck is frustrated and last year she stalked the broodies around the yard and tried to steal their chicks! She would sneak up, grab one and run! This behavior was not appreciated by my broodies. I felt so sorry for her.
Any Ideas?
Welcome! I don't know anything about breeding or hatching, sorry.
Tell us a little about your pekins! What are their names? How old are they? How did you get them?

There names are Aflack and Ducky :)
We got them at TSC two years ago, because the kids could not leave without them ;) The followed the kids everywhere, and the kids love it! My son in particular loves the ducks.
They live with the chickens, but mostly do there own thing. Where we live is pretty wet and boggy in places, and heavy rain gives them little ponds and puddles to muck around in. Particularly in the spring we have a few big vernal pool out back that gets deep enough for them to swim and dive. By the time it dries up they have eaten all the vegetation where the water was lol! We are thinking of making it a permanent pond this year, might as well, it will never be lawn again! We also had a major slug problem, but not anymore, and even the blackflies have taken a hit from their foraging. Ducky is the hen, she lays two eggs a night from febuary to november, and one a night during the coldest months. They are really hardy and are out all winter, I love it when they scoot along in the snow on their bellies like penguins. The kids lug thrm around, push them around in a baby stroller, even dress them up, and they seem to like to be cuddled and will occasionally preen your neck. We love them, and would love for Ducky to raise some babies of her own. We may just get some and give them to her while she is still on the nest...

Any Ideas?
No idea on how to help her hatch. Maybe you could try and get her a couple of fertile eggs from someone else or even your own chicken eggs, slip them under her. She will raise them no matter if they are duck or chicken if she hatches them.

Picture of my duck family. The two grown ducks are Pekins, the two young Pekins are 6 weeks old and their natural ducklings.
There is also six ducklings from eggs I got from craigslist. (They were to be Khaki's and Welsh but they are mutt ducks but
I think I got four females.) The Peking ducklings are starting to quack like my female----Yeah I think I have girls but too soon
to be sure.
Just wanted to share my duck family
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom