Pekin Duck Club!

Well I did later figure out about veins developing around seven days and waited until then to see. The "red eye" was supposed to develop around the third or fourth day which would be the eye of the chick, and neither developed. This was back in early August. I had eight eggs that I candled after a little over a week and saw nothing. I ended up cracking them all open, with no surprises, and putting them down the garbage disposal. After that it occurred to me that my male simply wasn't doing his job lol. I just incubated a batch of 13 over a period of a week and candled them the other night to find that they were all infertile, as well. My two ducks were killed by foxes a couple weeks ago when I had to take them to my mom's to have her take care of them while I was out of town. She didn't lock them up one night and off they went. Anywhere, as far as culling ducks for sustenance... it's a way of life for some people. Especially in an area like North Dakota. The Peking were bred and raised for meat production, and especially the Jumbo Peking, which I have ordered two of as my next pets, to arrive in a couple weeks (male and female.) Abigail and Bo-Khan :)

I know how you feel, Strawberryswyrl, animosity towards your mother's neglect. I've gone through the same thing... I lost 2 ducks and a couple of chicks due to my own daughter-in-law's failure to follow my instructions for the care of my birds. It made me angry, too, but then I realized... she doesn't have the same dedication for this as I do. She was doing it as a favor to me, so that my DH and I could take a trip to KS for a wedding of my DH's friends' son, and then again, when we took a long weekend to go pick up my grandson at his aunt's (my youngest daughter) house in MN. I didn't lose any the second trip, but the first one hurt deeply. You have to realize... those that you choose as substitute caretaker for your animals don't have the same love and concern that you, as their primary caretaker, does, because to you, your animals are your family. Granted, I process my chickens and ducks for food, but I still take personally the responsibility for their care, and thank them for their eggs and meat. Otherwise, I wouldn't have gotten them! My animals are spoiled, including my two cats and my dog! I didn't have a problem two weeks ago, processing 6 chickens (1 was a very aggressive rooster, and I wasn't going to tolerate him any longer, since he was bullying the rest of the flock... harmony was restored when I removed him temporarily to the ducks' pen. I figured the ducks would keep him in his place, as they had before, but it wasn't long before he was bullying them, too. So, off with his head, as the Red Queen said!). The other 5 chickens were Dark Cornish, and I realized that I made the wrong choice in that particular breed. They became a royal PITA to the flock, so, they went too. I DID have a problem with processing the 6 drakes, though, and I told my DH that I may have a problem with them. I kept back the tears, though, even though DH said he'd do the deed so I wouldn't have to deal with it. My saving thought was the well-being of the 4 hens with them gone. It was really hard, because I had to pick the ones to go, and I had really gotten attached to two of them that went. But logically, it was the best for all. It's hard when you have a logical, common-sense, mind, and reconciling that with an emotional heart, too.
hmm.png

I WISH I COULD HUG YOU RIGHT NOW! Everyone's sympathetic but I don't think they really understand. My mom just texted me Wicket didn't make it
sad.png
I'm taking a break from ducks for a bit, I couldn't handle this happening again!! I'm so sorry for your loss
sad.png

I'm so sorry to hear about little Wicket. You must be devastated. And thank you for your comments. I start to cry whenever I think about my little Billie-Beak, especially, because she was so sweet, and this was two weeks ago. It even upsets me to think about the male even though he attacked me all the time (happy memories :)

I know how you feel, Strawberryswyrl, animosity towards your mother's neglect. I've gone through the same thing... I lost 2 ducks and a couple of chicks due to my own daughter-in-law's failure to follow my instructions for the care of my birds. It made me angry, too, but then I realized... she doesn't have the same dedication for this as I do. She was doing it as a favor to me, so that my DH and I could take a trip to KS for a wedding of my DH's friends' son, and then again, when we took a long weekend to go pick up my grandson at his aunt's (my youngest daughter) house in MN. I didn't lose any the second trip, but the first one hurt deeply. You have to realize... those that you choose as substitute caretaker for your animals don't have the same love and concern that you, as their primary caretaker, does, because to you, your animals are your family. Granted, I process my chickens and ducks for food, but I still take personally the responsibility for their care, and thank them for their eggs and meat. Otherwise, I wouldn't have gotten them! My animals are spoiled, including my two cats and my dog! I didn't have a problem two weeks ago, processing 6 chickens (1 was a very aggressive rooster, and I wasn't going to tolerate him any longer, since he was bullying the rest of the flock... harmony was restored when I removed him temporarily to the ducks' pen. I figured the ducks would keep him in his place, as they had before, but it wasn't long before he was bullying them, too. So, off with his head, as the Red Queen said!). The other 5 chickens were Dark Cornish, and I realized that I made the wrong choice in that particular breed. They became a royal PITA to the flock, so, they went too. I DID have a problem with processing the 6 drakes, though, and I told my DH that I may have a problem with them. I kept back the tears, though, even though DH said he'd do the deed so I wouldn't have to deal with it. My saving thought was the well-being of the 4 hens with them gone. It was really hard, because I had to pick the ones to go, and I had really gotten attached to two of them that went. But logically, it was the best for all. It's hard when you have a logical, common-sense, mind, and reconciling that with an emotional heart, too.
hmm.png

Yep, I understand

Thanks
I'm so sorry to hear about little Wicket. You must be devastated. And thank you for your comments. I start to cry whenever I think about my little Billie-Beak, especially, because she was so sweet, and this was two weeks ago. It even upsets me to think about the male even though he attacked me all the time (happy memories :)

Thanks :) Luke attacked me all the time too!! Ever since Leia started laying eggs she doesn't want anything to do with me. I just miss when they where babies and they needed me for everything! I think Wicket was here so I could tell him everything and he went and told Luke and Leia. I am gonna keep crying but I don't think my body can't physically handle anymore right now!!

Hi I am from Nebraska. We have 3 female pekin ducks and would love to join the club. Loved the tip about putting wooden eggs in the nesting boxes to get the ducks to lay eggs.
smile.png
My family just bought wooden eggs to try it. I'll let you know if it works for us.

Hi I would like to join the club, I had a flock of all muscovies until I found a pekin on the side of the road as tame as tame and basically walked up to me it turns out it was a girl her name is Polly and is now a full member of the muscovie flock

Back
Top Bottom