Pekin duck eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Memaw7, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Memaw7

Memaw7 New Egg

Oct 20, 2013
    Hello
    I have 5 Pekin ducks, 4 hens and a drake. The girls are just started to lay eggs. They mostly lay double yoked eggs, Is this normal? Also, I live in the Atlanta area and wondered if the freezing temps in February are dangerous to them, do I need to keep them inside with a heating lamp during freezing temps?

Memaw7

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  2. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    I have 6 females and 1 male Pekins, and they laid a high number of double yolkers to begin with. After a couple of weeks, the eggs were single and a bit smaller. Ducks are very hardy, and the weather in Atlanta will be no problem to them. If you happen to get snow, let them out in it. My ducks love the snow. They swim through it! I live in CT, and we have freezing temps every night from November - April, and the ducks have no problem with it. I give them plenty of hay to nest in, and have never had an issue.

3. goose4

goose4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2012
    Up North MN
    Our ducks love snow. They go out almost every day except when it is extremely cold and windy. Last winter it got down to -37F and the ducks did fine. They take snow baths when the snow is powdery. Just make sure they can get in out of the wind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by