Pekin duck falling over

Tiltom

In the Brooder
Oct 22, 2021
Hello friends. My pekin duck/drake is about 9-10 months old. I noticed when I was moving him today that when I set him down he just falls over. He seems to be swaying like trying to catch his balance when he stands up. When he walks he falls over sometimes in his side sometimes on his back. He feel into his food bowl and couldn’t get out or up. I’m trying to find a vet but wondering if this could be toxoplasmosis? I noticed him waddling differently about two weeks ago and just thought he was getting heavy so stopped feeding twice a day and went to once. I have three other ducks that are just fine. He’s always been a little slower and falls behind but I’ve never seen him fall. I’d love to attach a video but it won’t allow me to.
Any suggestions? Like I said no vet very hard to find vet for any kind of bird around here in north central Florida.
Thank you

Attachments

• BC1FA985-758C-4BF7-9487-0CE56945B1A0.jpeg
    BC1FA985-758C-4BF7-9487-0CE56945B1A0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
I talked through a vet service online bc it’s been the only help I’ve been able to get. This is what he said….
Not sure what to do in this situation. I have three other ducks and if it’s toxoplasmosis I don’t want them getting sick so I have put Clayton Bigsby in a separate pen. I just don’t know what to do and don’t want him suffering. It’s hard to watch.

I'm sorry to hear about this with CB. One would think that he was poisoned as ducks are particularly susceptible to certain toxins - aflatoxins, botulism, insecticides, rodenticides, for example - but the history you provided doesn't make a toxin likely.

Infectious agents that can invade the central nervous system (brain, spinal cord) are the more important differential with chronic Riemerella anatipestifer (Pasteurella anatipestifer) infection most commonly associated with birds fond their backs, paddling their legs due to meningitis. Treatment with antibiotics at this state is rarely effective but an avian vet (www.aav.org/local poultry vet) might prescribe injectable enrofloxacin to be given to CB.

Can you tell us what your feeding? Has CB ever had niacin which is very important for ducklings as they are growing?
The human B complex would be fine but the best is the liquid B complex from TSC or other feed stores. If he is eating you can put 1 ml over a yummy treat daily. plus the vit E take 400 iu and prick the capsule and squeeze over the treat along with the liquid B complex.
Pekins are prone to leg weakness and need niacin for leg strength. This could be coming on for a while and not as noticeable until it is full-blown.
Here is some info.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
Try the liquid B complex and vitamin E maybe enough to get him back to walking normal sure worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom