1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pekin Duck Feed Question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duckmom1980, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Duckmom1980

Duckmom1980 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Hey fellow Duck Parents,
    I have been feeding my pair of Pekins flock raiser but I would like to feed them organic. My chickens eat Organic Pride layer feed. Somebody at the feed store said it would be fine and I was wondering what you all think? I also feed them vegetables.
    Tracy

2. pastryman

pastryman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2012
    I think it will be ok. Keep giving them vegetables and perhaps some grain.

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Just feed them the same you would your chickens. Do your ducks free range?

~ Aspen

4. neohiobiker

neohiobiker Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    when I read the specs on the bags of duck and chicken feed they are different

5. Duckmom1980

Duckmom1980 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    The ducks are free range, yes.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have fed mine organic layer feed pellets for quite a while and they seem to do well. It is not specifically duck feed. They get some foraging during the warmer months, and I give them extra vegetables and mealworms, some dry cat kibble, some grains and flax as well.

And I add poultry vitamins with electrolytes and probiotics to their water from time to time.

The problem I had with an organic layer feed that was not pelleted was that the ducks would pick out what they wanted and leave the rest. Part of that may have been that some of the ingredients were powder, and the ducks cannot hold powder in their bills. So I added a little water to the feed, then had to toss what was not eaten within a day (to prevent moldy feed).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by