Pekin duck given two weeks. Please help!!!

DuckMumOz

Hatching
Aug 1, 2021
Hello!

My beautfiul Pekin has survived the following in her two and a half years since joining Mother Earth:
  1. fox attack where the drake was killed. She was sitting on her first nest and they were ready to hatch. She was badly tramuatised and her neck had scars. She naturally lost all interest in going back to the nest.
  2. breaking her bone near her hip and being strapped up for over one month and a swollen hock joint
  3. metal poisoning
  4. arthritis
Which leads me to the last one. AS a result of her previous injury of a broken bone she never fully recovered and has been hobbling a bit ever since. Sadly she fell while trying to climb up the ladder in her coop and hasn't been great ever since.

Vet has given her Meloxicam and TRamadol and has said that if we dont see an improvement in the next ten days then the best thing we can do for her is to send her to the heavens. 😭😭😭

She is inside, sleeping on the dogs bed and getting medication twice a day with her food and some flaxseed.

I read somewhere about people doing compresses on their duck. Her hock joint is swollen. They have drained it before but it fills straight about again. Aside from limping she finds it hards to sit down. The vet said her arthritis has really affected her joints.

I need to try ANYTHING and EVERYTHING.

Anyone know how to do and secure a compress. I read about Epsom salt ones and ACV ones.

She has had everything thrown at her in her short life and survived it. I dont want to lose her.

Please help

To do compresses you soak a small towel or washcloth depending on the area in Warm Epsom salt water mix the Epsom salt up according to the direction on the container. Then after soaking the cloth wring it out so it's not dripping and the apply to the swollen area. Let it sit till the cloth is cool. You can also soak her in a small tub the same way just keep her from drinking alot of the water because Epson salt is also a laxative.
Since the vet has givien her Meloxacam for inflammation and pain I am not sure what else you can try other than maybe DMSO salve rubbed into that area. I bought some at TSC it's sorta like a salve much easier to use than plain DMSO in liquid.

To do compresses you soak a small towel or washcloth depending on the area in Warm Epsom salt water mix the Epsom salt up according to the direction on the container. Then after soaking the cloth wring it out so it's not dripping and the apply to the swollen area. Let it sit till the cloth is cool. You can also soak her in a small tub the same way just keep her from drinking alot of the water because Epson salt is also a laxative.
Since the vet has givien her Meloxacam for inflammation and pain I am not sure what else you can try other than maybe DMSO salve rubbed into that area. I bought some at TSC it's sorta like a salve much easier to use than plain DMSO in liquid.
Thanks so much. I tried to put a cloth around her hock joint but she hated it. I'll try the Epsom salt bath tomorrow. There is fluid in her hock joint which they drained and it fills up again. As am in Australia, we dont have DMSO salve. The shipping from the US takes ages sadly and time is against us.

Here's hoping. Thanks fo responding

Can they not put some type of drain tube in so it drains on its own? You know like when someone has surgery they sometimes will leave a drain in? Just trying to think of things you might ask your vet. You probably have her inside anyway so you'd be able to keep her clean.

I just googled to see if diatomaceous earth helps with arthritis and joint pain and it does! Get the food grade from home Depot or a feed store and it's safe to ingest

Back
Top Bottom