Pekin Duck heavy breathing / coughing PLEASE HELP

AeroMartin

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2023
So i have a Pekin duck thats about a month and a half old. She has had trouble with pigeon toedness since week 2, and we had her on Brewers Yeast but then switched to Niacin water and Vitamin E after no improvement for another 2 weeks. Still she struggles to walk, and recently has started breathing heavy. I make sure she takes a bath twice a day and has adequate water to dip her face, but this morning she coughed a few times. She sleeps on pine shavings that are cleaned twice a day and gets plenty of time outside if its not too cold. Does anyone know what i can do to help her? I love her very much, shes my favorite of the flock now but I am at my wits end with this duck, she feels determined to die. None of my other ducks or chickens have any problems at all.

I don't have Pekins but it sounds to me like she needs to be on Liquid B Complex when one is already showing signs of lameness and niacin deficiency this is the best course of treatment. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
Niaicn deficiency can actually kill them if not treated. I know you have been treating but I would get the liquid B Complex asap and start her on it.
Pekins are notorious for getting overheated do you still have her under heat? If she was drinking water when she coughed that may have been why she coughed.
Any other symptoms like discharge from eyes nares? is she eating good? what feed are you using?
@CoriM has had Pekins and hopefully can add more info.

I don't have Pekins but it sounds to me like she needs to be on Liquid B Complex when one is already showing signs of lameness and niacin deficiency this is the best course of treatment. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
Niaicn deficiency can actually kill them if not treated. I know you have been treating but I would get the liquid B Complex asap and start her on it.
Pekins are notorious for getting overheated do you still have her under heat? If she was drinking water when she coughed that may have been why she coughed.
Any other symptoms like discharge from eyes nares? is she eating good? what feed are you using?
@CoriM has had Pekins and hopefully can add more info.
I will get her some liquid B Complex tonight. Shes not under heat and has been eating well- shes on kalmbach duck and goose feed and gets veggies too.. nothing else suspicious with her face or eyes though. Thank you guys for your help, i really appreciate it

About grit

Attachments

• 72FCAAF2-877E-4919-8932-C0B1B58A3324.jpeg
    72FCAAF2-877E-4919-8932-C0B1B58A3324.jpeg
    236.7 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom