Pekin duck is laying eggs with soft shells?

TheDuckCrew

Songster
10 Years
Feb 21, 2009
Connecticut
My pekin hen just started laying again, and she had about 5 normal eggs, but the rest have been soft and squished because they stepped on them. the shells have been leather like. what should i do?

Last edited:
She needs calcium! MY duck had this problem too. Give her crushed oyster shells (you can find it at a feed store) and you can give her Kale. Kale has a good amount of Calcium in it. I wouldn't give her spinach right now if you are, because spinach can cause calcium not to absorb properly. Keep checking on her to make sure she doesn't get egg bound. Soft eggs can get stuck in there.

Offer it in a separate container. Then they will take what they need. Over time it can be bad for boys.

You can also save egg shells from breakfast. Dry them in the micro a bit and crush them.

thanks.

just one question, i could take chicken egg shells dry and crush them and give them to the ducks? just pretty confused about this whole thing. sorry.

Crushed eggshells are an inexpensive way to go. Can layer feeds be used with ducks?

Suzy

jumpy.gif

Yeah, but if you have a drake, over time it can cause kidney (i think) problems since they don't need the extra calcium

I feed multi flock pellets to my ducks and not layer pellets because of my boys and then in another pan I have crushed oyster shells for the girls the boys have never ate it and the girls love it like it was candy....

Back
Top Bottom