Pekin duck limping help!

Jen_naay

Chirping
Apr 9, 2020
My Pekin has been limping.. this happened to her last year but resolved itself in a few days after spending some time in her pool and rest. So far nothing has helped her and it’s been about 4 days..
- her feet/legs aren’t warm
- She is eating and drinking normally but we can tell she is trying to sit in one place
- hasn’t laid an egg in a few days
- when she sits she looks like she is trying to lean to one side

do these pictures look like she has bumble?
could it be an egg that’s stuck ?

Attachments

• 801B9A9F-25DD-4E6D-8D80-F89651C551B9.jpeg
    801B9A9F-25DD-4E6D-8D80-F89651C551B9.jpeg
    421.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 83110412-3F59-4CB1-9163-A6696621159F.jpeg
    83110412-3F59-4CB1-9163-A6696621159F.jpeg
    327.2 KB · Views: 3
Her footpads look healthy and considering she is still able to walk I would be less likely to suggest she has an egg stuck her in the oviduct. Due to their weight, Pekins are predisposed to developing soft tissue trauma to their legs which includes sprains, and strains.
These problems can develop walking on hard grounds unforgiving to the legs, excess mating from drakes, or by simply tripping over objects.
Rest, and time for such a problem will most often prove the most effective, but increasing her time in cool deep water, and attempting to keep her off her legs as much will help. Administration of NSAIDs will help combat any inflammation currently occurring; if you have aspirin available you can give her 5 milligrams per kilogram of bodyweight.

Her footpads look healthy and considering she is still able to walk I would be less likely to suggest she has an egg stuck her in the oviduct. Due to their weight, Pekins are predisposed to developing soft tissue trauma to their legs which includes sprains, and strains.
These problems can develop walking on hard grounds unforgiving to the legs, excess mating from drakes, or by simply tripping over objects.
Rest, and time for such a problem will most often prove the most effective, but increasing her time in cool deep water, and attempting to keep her off her legs as much will help. Administration of NSAIDs will help combat any inflammation currently occurring; if you have aspirin available you can give her 5 milligrams per kilogram of bodyweight.
Thanks so much !

If I have a 325mg aspirin tab - what’s the best way to give that to her? Dissolve in water?

Back
Top Bottom