Pekin duck mating but not laying?

Keah

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2015
Hi,

So I have been wondering why my pekin duck (a proven breeder and layer) isn't laying. I have been meaning to get another hen because the ratio is just one drake to one hen. I know that is not very good, however I can't find any pekins for sale where I am sooo yeah. Anyways I have seen the pair mate but my girl just isn't laying. I have an incubator and wish to hatch some ducklings I just need her to LAY SOME EGGS! I have learnt that when they are laying their beaks are bright orange however her's is dull. They are both extremely healthy and get fed fresh vegies and chook course laying mash with my chickens. Am I doing something wrong? Why won't she lay..ahhhh
he.gif

Thankyou

Hi,

So I have been wondering why my pekin duck (a proven breeder and layer) isn't laying. I have been meaning to get another hen because the ratio is just one drake to one hen. I know that is not very good, however I can't find any pekins for sale where I am sooo yeah. Anyways I have seen the pair mate but my girl just isn't laying. I have an incubator and wish to hatch some ducklings I just need her to LAY SOME EGGS! I have learnt that when they are laying their beaks are bright orange however her's is dull. They are both extremely healthy and get fed fresh vegies and chook course laying mash with my chickens. Am I doing something wrong? Why won't she lay..ahhhh
he.gif

Thankyou
It maybe to hot. My ducks didn't start laying this summer until we have cool week. I've heard a story where someone's ducks simply stopped laying when it was a hot week and got back at it when it cooled down.

Yes I know they are diffidently mating, they only mate in the pool when I let them out of their pen. And it definitely isn't too hot as it is winter where I am the days are just a perfect temperature. They aren't molting and are about 2 years old, maybe a little younger. I will try and post a pic later on...

Yes I know they are diffidently mating, they only mate in the pool when I let them out of their pen. And it definitely isn't too hot as it is winter where I am the days are just a perfect temperature. They aren't molting and are about 2 years old, maybe a little younger. I will try and post a pic later on...

They may only lay in spring... some are seasonal.

do they free range? she may be hiding them. on of my pekins had lots of spots all over my yard it was like a easter egg hunt every day

Yes they do, however the pen if really open, there is nowhere she could possible have them without me seeing. :(

And
Yeah. I also add some shell grit into their feed occasionally.

Have you had her for very long?
Sometimes a stress (change in something) will stop laying, or force them to molt. If they are molting they can't lay and that could be the case.
Still, it's wierd. Maybe she kicks shavings or straw over the eggs? Perhaps something is taking them?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom