Pekin duck needs your help. Pics attached.

Sundevill11

Songster
9 Years
Aug 23, 2014
Oklahoma
I have a female Pekin duck named Poncha who has a swollen hallux claw. It seemed to be dislocated about a month ago. I think it got caught on my shirt while picking her up. It was bendable at that time, however it didn't seem to bother her. She didn't limp or was ever sensitive to it. As of a few days ago it has swollen up. She doesn't seem to be bothered by it and has no problems walking. Her shanks are not warm and the area is not red. It doesn't appear to be Infected, could it simply be scar tissue after it hardens after her putting weight on it for a while now? I have only used Epsom salt soaks and Vetrician Spray. I have not tried to remove the nail in fear of it getting worse. Is this something that needs to be addressed or will the nail fall out and regrow?

I know this is an old thread but I'm wondering what ever happened with this. Don't mean to hijack, but.....My Dolly partially tore off her hallux claw/nail on Sunday. The nail is attached enough that I fear clipping it totally off, it has since changed position from the original 90 dg turned inward to 180 turned upward, no doubt from bonking it again, and again back to 90dg inward today. No bleeding, she acts fine and treating with veterycin. Not sensitive to the touch and no other swelling EXCEPT for the hallux toe....which otherwise looks unremarkable. I'm thinking the swelling is from her putting weight on it as well as the nail moving again,....don't see a solution to this as I can't immobilize her! Curious what happened with your duck, @Sundevill11?

Thoughts from Amiga appreciated!
Sunday, when I assume it happened

Today

I would dab antibiotic on it two or three times a day to head off infection risk - Romy tore her halux nail off a couple of years ago. It bled a little, I dabbed antibiotic ointment on it several times, she is fine.

Just keep an eye on it. If you cannot get too close to her, squirt Vetericyn on it, perhaps... edit - I reread, see you are using Vetericyn....that and watching closely over the next couple of weeks is what I would do.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the quick reply! Luckily, she's a really well handled and spoiled girl (currently nibbling my toes out in the pen
1f604.png
) so I can handle her easily and keep an eye on it when she comes in at night for Netflix on the couch! Will continue veterycin several times a day and watching it. Have a lovely day....and a big thank you from the darling Ms Dolly!

Poncha's hallux basically healed itself but we kept vetracyn on it as a precaution. We tried wrapping it at times but she would just kick it off.

Back
Top Bottom