Pekin ducklings outside, how soon?

mjentley

In the Brooder
Jul 26, 2021
We will have Pekin ducklings hatch in the next couple of days. What is the absolute earliest time I can put them outside in the chicken coop (no chicken, it’s empty)? Our average temperatures are highs around 95 and lows around 78. We have plenty of shade.

They will need to be kept heated for about 4 weeks. Pekins often can have the heat removed earlier than other breeds. Their size can make them overheat. With your heat, you may be able to do it at 3 weeks, but I would plan on at least 4 weeks.

At 4 weeks they can deal with down to temps of 60 F. After they are fully feathered they can handle lower temps. During the day, they should be able to go out even earlier. I would personally wait till they are a week old before bringing them outside during the day.

Thank you for taking the time to respond! This is all new to me. We took in 2 adult Perkins that were orphaned as the owner passed away. We incubating 10 eggs so our grandkids can wat the miracle of hatching! I need all the advice I can get!

We will have Pekin ducklings hatch in the next couple of days. What is the absolute earliest time I can put them outside in the chicken coop (no chicken, it’s empty)? Our average temperatures are highs around 95 and lows around 78. We have plenty of shade.
You could put them out now as long as it's predator proof and just turn on your heat source at night. My brooder is outside in our barn with a heat source providing 90-92 degrees temps on one side of the brooder and then I bring it down 5 degrees every week from there. Just make sure that when the heat is on that they can get away from the heat. Pekins as said a over overheat easily.

Edit: I just wanted to add that duckling do require a heat source, they require CORRECT TEMPERATURES. Many new owners make the mistake of thinking that regardless of the ambient temperature of the area ducklings are being kept that they need heat. This simply is not true. If the ambient temperature of where the ducklings are being kept is around 90+ degrees then they do not need a heat source. Adding a heat lamp or brooder plate to 90+ degree area will cook your ducklings. However, if the temperature drops then a heat source may be required depending on how many weeks they are and how low the temperature drops. I highly recommend getting an analog thermometer to hang in your coop and then I also like a little digital probe placed under the heat when on that I can sync with my phone.

Last edited:
Will the mother Pekin accept them at some point?
You will want to keep the ducklings seperated from the adults till they are old enough to handles themselves. This can range in age depending on your flock. Since you only have one male, with one female, they will need to be kept separate till they mature. The male can injury and potentially kill the ducklings if he tries to mate them. Usually you want at least 4 females to one male. So he will likely try to make them. You will also need to think about what your are going to do with extra males. Bad male to female ratios can lead to overbreeding.

Also, I have never worried about temperature of my brooder. I always just heat half of it, so the ducklings can choose to move away from the heat to cool off or go back if they get cold.

Back
Top Bottom