Pekin Ducks and Grass Seed

Scott Barr

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 7, 2012
Alpharetta, GA
Hi All - As you have, as a community, given so many good answers in the past ... time for a new question. As many know, we put in a pond in our backyard for our two Pekin Ducks. It is almost fall and it is time to do the annual over seeding of the back yard with fescue grass seed. The quesiton is this; will the ducks likley eat the fescue seed (I assume yes as they are great foragers) and if the seed is uncoated, will it hurt them in any way? It will take about three weeks for the seed to fully germinate and begin to grow and I hate to keep the babies penned for the whole time ... Thanks in advance. Scott

I've seeded a few times in my backyard. The ducks touched a few of the seeds but not much of them. However, once it sprouted they ate quite a bit of the grass. The seeds didn't seem to hurt them in anyway.

I keep my ducks off of new grass. They don't eat much of the seed. (but the wild birds do), but once the grass sprouts, the ducks will pull up and eat all the tender new sprouts.

The grass has to be several months old before the roots are big enough that the ducks don't pull out roots and all.

I keep my ducks off of new grass. They don't eat much of the seed. (but the wild birds do), but once the grass sprouts, the ducks will pull up and eat all the tender new sprouts.

The grass has to be several months old before the roots are big enough that the ducks don't pull out roots and all.

I've seeded a few times in my backyard. The ducks touched a few of the seeds but not much of them. However, once it sprouted they ate quite a bit of the grass. The seeds didn't seem to hurt them in anyway.
Thanks to both of you ... I am glad to know that the seed will not be an issue ... as far as them leaving the grass shoots alone ... that will be a challenge as they have free roaming of the back yard but it will be what it will be!

Back
Top Bottom