Pekin duck's beak feels warm

Charles023

In the Brooder
Dec 13, 2021
IMG20220119091235.jpg
My 1 month old Pekin duck feels warm! He's breathing is also noticable I think it's bc of his heavy weight. He's doing well and has no loss of appetite. What could this mean Y'all?

Pekins can overheat easily. It is possible something like that is going on. The breathing could be panting to cool himself off or simple problem with his nares. If you are still using a heat source, I would stop and see how the pekin does.

I would give him a Luke warm bath and just keep an eye on him. The bath will help cool off his beak and clean his nares.

Pekins can overheat easily. It is possible something like that is going on. The breathing could be panting to cool himself off or simple problem with his nares. If you are still using a heat source, I would stop and see how the pekin does.

I would give him a Luke warm bath and just keep an eye on him. The bath will help cool off his beak and clean his nares.
I don't use a heat source on him because it looks like he's almost fully feathered and when they sleep it's cold outside.

I don't use a heat source on him because it looks like he's almost fully feathered and when they sleep it's cold outside.
That is good. The heat sources sometimes need to be stopped extra early with pekin, so that is not an issue.
What is the temperature range there right now?

Even if it isn't a temperature issue, I would still recommend a luke warm bath. It can help clear out anything going on in their nares and respiratory system. When I raised my pekin, I had to give them a bath daily, otherwise I would notice the issues you are seeing. They clean themselves better in a bath then in a deep water dish.

Back
Top Bottom