Pekin ducks laying eggs in their pond?

LLHEET8586

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 15, 2014
I'm new to ducks... We have 2 female Pekin ducks that just started laying a few weeks ago. I free range them to an extent, my yard is fenced in. So they have decided to nest next to my porch steps... I have a bush on each side and so I have a best on each side. Only ONCE have I found an intact egg in one of the nests. The dogs and my hen (yes my hen) eat the eggs usually before I find them. Well now a lot of the time when I go to change my ducks small pond water there is egg shell in it! Also have found my ducks chowing down on their own egg shells they managed to steal from the other animals. So I had a theory they are laying them in the pond and just eating them right there. I would like to keep the eggs for myself, but everyone eats them! Any suggestions? And any other info I should know would be greatly appreciated! I know hens lay eggs later each day, are ducks the same? Thanks in advance.

Hey there, I have four 24-week old Pekins who just started laying a little over a week ago. The first egg we found was in their pool, but I'm pretty sure it was laid that day. I panicked a little and did some searching when this happened, as our main reason for keeping the ducks is for egg harvest. From what I've read/heard, it seems it is normal for a first time layer to accidentally lay in unexpected places, as they are getting used to what's going on. Even though you're letting your birds go free, it's still a good idea to provide a coop, nesting box or nest of some sort, for this sole purpose alone. It will keep you eggs cleaner overall as well. My girls have free reign of their run at night, along with access to their pond. But I keep their coop open as well, and it's full of deep bedding for them to dig nests in. Since that first day, we haven't found any more eggs in the pool. Most have been on the ground, right in front of the entrance to the run. Once, I found one had rolled under a ramp. But we have had 3 laid in the actual coop now, so at least one of them is starting to get it figured out.
I also read somewhere that most ducks lay before 9 am. I'm sure it depends on location, but here in Northen Cali my girls seem to start out pretty early and wrap it up by about 7:30 am. I've wondered about them eating the eggs as well; my husband actually found our smallest egg to date in the mouth of one of our girls, but luckily everything was still in tact when she dropped it. If you can get your girls to start laying in designated areas, and get out there in time, you should be good to go!

Hi there! My duck has layed two in her pool---both of them were soft eggs and during the day. Now, that her body is getting use to the way things work she is now a consistent early morning layer in the coop. I wouldn't be concerned about it, just think she is young and figuring things out :)

Back
Top Bottom