Pekin Female seems to be straining a lot..

Catwmn

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 2, 2010
Willis, TX
I have 3 pekin females that I am not sure of age on.

One of them today I noticed was laying by the water dish and her backside was in constant motion like she was straining to poop or something. I have not started to get any eggs yet from any of them. Do you think she might be getting ready to lay an egg? She eats fine and can get up and walk and will even run from me if I get too close to her.

Do you think I should worry?

My Pekins will not lay if i disturb them so if you think she might be trying give her some time, I have seen my girls sit in the same place for 2 hours when laying an egg. If she gets up and runs fast that is also a good indicator that shes not doing so bad. If something is wrong birds tend not to show signs of stress till they really don't feel well but then they don;t move so fast or run at all. So I think give her a couple hours of peace then she if she still has pep in her step.

I have 3 pekin females that I am not sure of age on.
One of them today I noticed was laying by the water dish and her backside was in constant motion like she was straining to poop or something. I have not started to get any eggs yet from any of them. Do you think she might be getting ready to lay an egg? She eats fine and can get up and walk and will even run from me if I get too close to her.
Do you think I should worry?
I am not sure I can say this, ah, in mixed company, but I think I may know what you are describing.

Based on my experience with my runners, as they came into sexual maturity, they would express their readiness to mate by sitting down and raising their tails, and their vents would pulsate. Based on my studies of biology and ornithology, it appeared to me as the duck way of saying, "come hither." Ahem. Anyway, what you may be seeing is a mating display, a sign that they are (if similar to my runners) within a month or so of laying.

Oh, and

welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
I am not sure I can say this, ah, in mixed company, but I think I may know what you are describing.

Based on my experience with my runners, as they came into sexual maturity, they would express their readiness to mate by sitting down and raising their tails, and their vents would pulsate. Based on my studies of biology and ornithology, it appeared to me as the duck way of saying, "come hither." Ahem. Anyway, what you may be seeing is a mating display, a sign that they are (if similar to my runners) within a month or so of laying.

Oh, and

welcome-byc.gif

HE HE my ducks never incourage my drake but maybe they would if he wasn't always jumping them. Best way to get his attention is to run.

Oh, and

welcome-byc.gif
yuckyuck.gif

Oh, and

welcome-byc.gif
lau.gif
....... I couldn't help picturing my Cat, we lock her in the house to keep her from mating, and she would just display all kind of curious behavior, lowering her body and moving her tail to the side.... one night she got out wile i was coming in...

so right now she has a beautiful big belly:

expecting kittens any minute now

Back
Top Bottom