Pekin/Khaki Cross sitting all the time

JulieCapoolie

Chirping
Jun 25, 2021
I hatched 3 ducklings June 25. They’ve been on manna pro duckling/gosling starter. I noticed about 6 days ago my pekin/khaki cross is sitting a lot. On hocks. I order niacin and brewers yeast. I’ve added to water, feed as per instructions on this site… but I see little improvement?? How long will it take before I know if it’s not going to help? I’m so sad for him.. “ Monet” has become my fav.. he’s just so calm, and actually likes to be petted. Any thoughts, ideas or help out there… Greatly Appreciated!!!

Attachments

• D64A1240-4592-4EC2-B9FB-2F55382A3C2F.jpeg
    D64A1240-4592-4EC2-B9FB-2F55382A3C2F.jpeg
    646.7 KB · Views: 34
Have you given orally with a syringe or just added it to their water? When a duckling is actually showing signs of a niacin deficiency diluting niacin supplements in water isn't usually enough. If you have never given a duck medication via syringe you can use a 1 ml syringe and add a drop or two at a time of the supplement on the edge of the inside of the mouth.

They grow so fast (especially pekin) that they generally will sit a lot whether their niacin needs are met or not. I find my boys sit a lot more than the girls - I have muscovy and the boys grow similar to a pekin.
I added nutritional yeast to their food and in their water. The niacin is definitely beneficial, but they still might sit a lot while growing.

Have you given orally with a syringe or just added it to their water? When a duckling is actually showing signs of a niacin deficiency diluting niacin supplements in water isn't usually enough. If you have never given a duck medication via syringe you can use a 1 ml syringe and add a drop or two at a time of the supplement on the edge of the inside of the mouth.
When I sprinkle it in the water I’ve watched him go after it. But, should I just get the liquid? I’m worried now it’s been too long since this started and he’s not going to get any better?

They grow so fast (especially pekin) that they generally will sit a lot whether their niacin needs are met or not. I find my boys sit a lot more than the girls - I have muscovy and the boys grow similar to a pekin.
I added nutritional yeast to their food and in their water. The niacin is definitely beneficial, but they still might sit a lot while growing.
I have a straight Pekin sibling to Monet. He’s ( possibly she!) fuller bodied.. but up all the time. The Pekin has also started to make more ( ducky sounds) other than chirps. So maybe that’s the case! She’s a wild hare!!!!

I have a straight Pekin sibling to Monet. He’s ( possibly she!) fuller bodied.. but up all the time. The Pekin has also started to make more ( ducky sounds) other than chirps. So maybe that’s the case! She’s a wild hare!!!!
I would get the nutritional yeast. You could also go with a liquid since this one is needing more direct and rapid delivery. What type of niacin are you adding to the water?
It can take awhile for improvement. Could you post a video?

When I sprinkle it in the water I’ve watched him go after it. But, should I just get the liquid? I’m worried now it’s been too long since this started and he’s not going to get any better?
The problem is the water dilutes it too much for a deficiency. I always go straight to giving it in liquid form with a syringe the moment I see the start of a possible issue.

Back
Top Bottom