Pekin leg injury

If you have an off ratio of drakes to females maybe you should separate the females from the drakes and see how quickly they recover? Many have to have what is called drake jail to keep their females safe from injury.

If you have an off ratio of drakes to females maybe you should separate the females from the drakes and see how quickly they recover? Many have to have what is called drake jail to keep their females safe from injury.
Yes, they've been separated, at least until the others are old enough (and big enough) where they can all go together. We're unfortunately familiar with the drake jail and are in the process of building another coop so they all have more room. If needed, we'll have two coops, and the boys can live in a bachelor pad :)

How are the girls doing today?
One is standing up much more and seems steadier! The other is about the same, but isn't worse. She was showing symptoms about 24-48 hours after the first one...I think with a little more time, they'll be as good as new. Thanks for asking! As for the boys...they got a lecture and will be enjoying their time as bachelors for the time being lol

That's awesome news!!

Alright, so last week I started giving Remi Nutridrench because she seemed to be quieter and was spending time by herself. At first, we were thinking that she was just lonely or depressed because we did separate the drakes during the day (and they go in a crate inside the hens' coop at night - they're coop isn't quite done). But, that wouldn't explain the wings and her posture to balance, and she doesn't stand up to greet the boys like she usually does when they come in for the night.
A family member decided that we should get 6 unsexed ducklings (that's a whole other rant), who are being introduced slowly now that they're almost full-grown, so that is also a change. We ended up with 3 males and 3 females of the 6, so our plan is to let the males and females live in separate coops (females stay with our 3 chickens)...wish us luck with that one.
When she walks, her tail sometimes "bobs" with every other step and after going more than a few steps, she puts one or both wings out to balance. She has been going inside earlier in the days and sleeping in a corner of the coop, rather than napping in the run with her buddy. Normally they have to be herded inside at dusk. She seems to be eating and drinking fine, as long as the food is easily accessible to her. A few days ago, I did bathe her with Dawn soap to treat wet feather. I noticed while bathing her that she has small bumps along one wing, almost like feather cysts? They're hard, but she didn't seem to mind me touching them at all. The only other thing I can think of is that today when I gave her the Nutridrench, she did seem to be stuffy/nasally sounding. That might just be me overanalyzing things, though. I don't think my parents would be willing to take her to a vet.

I guess my questions would be:
1. What else can I do or should I do?
2. Does this seem neurological? What would cause this?
3. Could the symptoms be connected, or is this likely two different things?

Picture attached shows her back inside the coop with her wings out after walking around outside.

Videos from 5/7:

Attachments

• IMG_1316.JPG
    IMG_1316.JPG
    488.6 KB · Views: 4
Went back and reread. I wish you could get the liquid B complex. it's worth trying honest. Looks like her legs are too weak to hold her up. Ruling out niacin deficiency is a start. How old are your girls?

Went back and reread. I wish you could get the liquid B complex. it's worth trying honest. Looks like her legs are too weak to hold her up. Ruling out niacin deficiency is a start. How old are your girls?
I did get an oral b complex that I’ve been giving to her daily for the last month. It doesn’t say flush free or anything. Should I try the injectable and see if that fixes it? Any guidance on giving it? Her walking improved majorly, so I think it helped. It’s just this suddenly. They just turned 4.

Last edited:
Does this one seem good? None are available in store, so they’d have to be shipped. I can order it, but I don’t know how to inject or what size syringes with needles.

Attachments

• 6233EE54-3FBB-4981-A37C-5D5DBEF6FBEC.jpeg
    6233EE54-3FBB-4981-A37C-5D5DBEF6FBEC.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 80F7CF48-797E-48D4-80C3-AA5488080450.png
    80F7CF48-797E-48D4-80C3-AA5488080450.png
    195.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 71C01855-7FE1-4E40-B79F-781E550EFB34.png
    71C01855-7FE1-4E40-B79F-781E550EFB34.png
    150.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 8D136534-4332-471F-BC82-E0F87F8B7B4A.png
    8D136534-4332-471F-BC82-E0F87F8B7B4A.png