pekin, new wing feathers

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by scooter147, Nov 24, 2008.

1. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    This cracked me up this morning (I'll try to keep this short) I had to share.

I got a rescue pekin from the Humane Society this spring to go with my pekin/mallard that I rescued last summer from a "well intentioned" friend. (I am more a chicken person than duck person)

When I got Mary Lou her wings feathers were nothing more than quills (nothing on the stems of the feather). Well Mary Lou went through her molt and her wings feathers are apparently completely grown out. This morning when I let Mary Lou and Quackers out I noticed Mary Lou standing in one spot just flapping and flapping and flapping her wings really give them a good work out. She then squatted and tried to take flight, WELL, she went all of about two feet and kind of crash landed (the flight isn't the hard part it's always that landing) well she stood up looked behind her like someone caused the lack of distance and bad landing and then went running, head bobbing to the side and quacking all the way to Quackers (who was standing in their wading pool) just telling him the whole time what a horrible experience she just had and that there was not a trip south in their immediate future. I must also add that Quackers has more mallard than pekin as he can fly some, when the two are up at the house and they want to go back to the coop Quackers always flies back (the distance is about 50 feet) so I am sure she was given also telling him that she would still have to just run and flap her way back to the coop and not able to enjoy the mystery of flight.

I had a great laugh to start my day.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  2. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    awww, thanks for sharing! it's so funny when they attempt to take off and kinda hit the floor and roll over a bit, then get up like they meant to do that... lol

The fact that ducks get embarrassed is hysterical... When my duckie was little she was standing on my bed waiting for me to dry her off after a bath. She walked close to the egde and i warned her not to go to close or she'll fall off. She of course didn't listen and fell between my bed and my night stand. I pulled her out of there and set her down ans said, "see, i told you so..." She then got really embarrassed and hid her head under the towel. When she poked her head out a moment later i looked at her and asked if she was embarressed and she hid again. Ducks are such funny creatures....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by