Pekin sexing time frame?

Modog

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2021
We have 3 pekin ducks that that are 6 1/2 weeks. One is clearly quacking like a female -based off YouTube videos :) The other two don't sound the same. I feel like that means they are males. How long should I wait to see if they surprise me with a quack?

Attachments

• IMG_20210429_201937.jpg
    IMG_20210429_201937.jpg
    590 KB · Views: 6
I am a terrible judge of "the quack", particularly early due to late bloomers, but by 10-12 weeks or so, a combination of "the quack" and the drake feather are reliable indicators for me. I put less stock on behaviors, as I've seen hens seemingly "mount" or bite the back of the neck of other hens to show dominance early, and I've seen drakes absolutely savage new drakes in much the same way, for much the same reasons - in fact, I have three of my pekins separated out for just that reason right now. Too small to defend themselves successfully, too big to keep in a brooder. Have them in a 4 x 12 (roughly) grow out pen in the barn, giving them an outdoor run (weather permitting) today.

I am a terrible judge of "the quack", particularly early due to late bloomers, but by 10-12 weeks or so, a combination of "the quack" and the drake feather are reliable indicators for me. I put less stock on behaviors, as I've seen hens seemingly "mount" or bite the back of the neck of other hens to show dominance early, and I've seen drakes absolutely savage new drakes in much the same way, for much the same reasons - in fact, I have three of my pekins separated out for just that reason right now. Too small to defend themselves successfully, too big to keep in a brooder. Have them in a 4 x 12 (roughly) grow out pen in the barn, giving them an outdoor run (weather permitting) today.
Thank you so much for the great advice! We very much appreciate it.

There are other posters here who can do so much earlier - particularly if you are a "hands on" owner, and can separate ducks then get them excited. "The Quack" tends to really become pronounced then. I'm largely hands off, letting them free range as a group. I'm also new, only doing this about 13 months. SO I lack years of experience, and an easy way to tell just which duck is doing the quacking. Consequence of my management methods.

I wish you every fortune in your duck raising adventures!

There are other posters here who can do so much earlier - particularly if you are a "hands on" owner, and can separate ducks then get them excited. "The Quack" tends to really become pronounced then. I'm largely hands off, letting them free range as a group. I'm also new, only doing this about 13 months. SO I lack years of experience, and an easy way to tell just which duck is doing the quacking. Consequence of my management methods.

I wish you every fortune in your duck raising adventures!
Thank you so much for your advice. We really appreciate it. One of them is so loud when we we take her away from the others, one sounds young still. and one I isn't very loud. These are our first ducks. They are so fun but we are hoping for all female.

Back
Top Bottom