Pekin Started Laying--does she need a different diet?

goosiemama

Songster
10 Years
Feb 19, 2013
Texas
I think my Gabby Duck is about 20 weeks old, and she has started laying. 5 eggs in 5 days. I've been feeding her and my goose the same diet-- Mazuri waterfowl maintenance, scratch grains, black sunflower seed and lots of greens. I provide oyster shell, and since her first egg I've been crushing up eggs and egg shells for her. Should I be doing more? Her eggs seem nice and hard and are getting bigger each day. Just want to keep her healthy. Thank you for any advice. Also, will she stop laying when fall hits or even before? or does it get more intermittent, but keep on all year? Thanks.

As much as I love Mazuri Waterfowl Maintenance, it has fish meal in it which can make duck eggs taste objectionable. Also, if I recall correctly from when I was researching this myself, the maintenance formula does not have a high enough protein percentage for laying ducks. The breeder formula does, but, again, fish meal. If you intend to eat her eggs I would recommend switching your girl to a chicken layer pellet or flock raiser and then supplementing extra niacin. Offering crushed oyster shell is a good idea, but you probably don't need to worry about giving her egg shells if she already has another calcium source available.

Congrats on your new eggs! It sounds like your girl has a great home with you.

Last edited:
As much as I love Mazuri Waterfowl Maintenance, it has fish meal in it which can make duck eggs taste objectionable. Also, if I recall correctly from when I was researching this myself, the maintenance formula does not have a high enough protein percentage for laying ducks. The breeder formula does, but, again, fish meal. If you intend to eat her eggs I would recommend switching your girl to a chicken layer pellet or flock raiser and then supplementing extra niacin. Offering crushed oyster shell is a good idea, but you probably don't need to worry about giving her egg shells if she already has another calcium source available.

Congrats on your new eggs! It sounds like your girl has a great home with you.
Thank you so much for the info. Haven't tasted the eggs yet. I've just put them in an egg box to proudly show anyone who happens by. We will want to use her eggs, though, especially if she continues to lay so dependably. This morning we have egg number 6, only thing is, it's broken. Looks like it was twin yolks. Not sure if she or the goose stepped on it. Hope so. I have given them brewers yeast for the niacin a few times, but I will be more regular about that. The more I know, the more I know I Don't Know!!! People like you, DeckDuck, make life with our feathered friends much happier. Thank you for the kind words.

Back
Top Bottom