Pekin swollen hocks and wet feather

I agree, I think you should consult an avian veterinarian.

My duck had arthritis and pain in her legs. Your duck could have pain from a different reason, but some things may still apply. My vet had her on pain medication that is only available by prescription, and a very high amount as well. We also had her on very soft surfaces, which it looks like you are doing. We restricted her movement as well, so no long walks even if she wanted to. I carried her a lot.

The pain medication helped her feel well enough to preen some. My duck didn't preen well, had very poor feather quality, and stayed wet for days after becoming wet. My vet recommended that I put my duck in clean water regularly when it wasn't cold. And that I towel her off afterward and then allow her to preen. They didn't recommend I use soap.

My understanding is that dish soap is reserved for situations where birds have been exposed to deplorable environments. You may be washing off any beneficial waterproofing oils your duck has with soap. I don't think I would do it unless your vet advises you to.

Yes, scheduling 2-3 weeks out. He needs treatment sooner. I can’t afford emergency visits. Hoping someone here can give me immediate insight so I can get the ball rolling for him.
Hard to say what is causing the problem. Could be a niacin deficiency, or could be a an infection.

I appreciate all the feedback. I was finally able to get him into an avian vet under urgent care. It was tough because there are so few around here and I had to call daily to get him worked in.

She did diagnose him with septic arthritis (possibly from past injury) and sent him home with clindamycin for possible infection, meloxicam for inflammation and pain, and she gave him an injection of selenium and vitamin E. She recommended pool therapy daily, which he already had access to, but I fill the kiddie pool to the very top to decrease pressure on his legs. I continue to keep him separate from the rouens, chickens, and Cayuga, so they don’t hassle him, but I keep another Pekin in the pen with him for companionship.

His legs are still swollen, but he is definitely preening and looking better. I struggle with giving capsules and pills, so I melt them in water and give via syringe.

She warned that this condition may improve but may recurr. He will have a follow up in 2 weeks.

Thank you all again for your input and advice.

This duck needs seen by an avian vet. This may be a problem that cannot be fixed, but the problem needs to be identified specifically for you to know what is causing Buddy's wet feather and lameness. Throwing antibiotics at this problem is not helpful and could be harmful. I'm a vet and I treat ducks and I can tell you from experience that he needs examined. If I could give you a recommendation over this communication I would. I have about 4 guesses, but without seeing him, they are all guesses. You'll spend just as much on an exam as you would have ordering medications that may not work over the internet or in the farm store. The difference is that a vet with some good duck experience can narrow down the causes and give you really good direction about what treatment has the best chance of working and which treatments won't help at all. Spend your money on the exam first and then talk to the vet about the treatment options.

This duck needs seen by an avian vet. This may be a problem that cannot be fixed, but the problem needs to be identified specifically for you to know what is causing Buddy's wet feather and lameness. Throwing antibiotics at this problem is not helpful and could be harmful. I'm a vet and I treat ducks and I can tell you from experience that he needs examined. If I could give you a recommendation over this communication I would. I have about 4 guesses, but without seeing him, they are all guesses. You'll spend just as much on an exam as you would have ordering medications that may not work over the internet or in the farm store. The difference is that a vet with some good duck experience can narrow down the causes and give you really good direction about what treatment has the best chance of working and which treatments won't help at all. Spend your money on the exam first and then talk to the vet about the treatment options.
Post #13

Back
Top Bottom