Pekin swollen hocks and wet feather

Newbyduckowner

Hatching
Jun 16, 2021
Buddy is about 8 weeks and has struggled to keep up with the others. He can only walk a couple yards at a time then has to lay down. His leg joints remain swollen. He has wet feather. All area avian vets are booked. I’ve treated all the Pekins with B complex 1 ml daily for several weeks. Now, my rouens are on top of him, scratched his back and drew blood, so now the chickens are pecking at him. I now have him in his own fence along with another Pekin who is slightly lame but not as bad.

I want to simply purchase and administer whatever antibiotic/anti inflammatory/or whatever else is recommended. I’m willing to inject if necessary.

Buddy is the one laying down. His friend is also a little pigeon toed, but at least he can keep up with the crowd. He’s just in the enclosure as a companion.

I read that a warm bath with Dawn dish soap could help with wet feather, so we will do that later today. I’m just very concerned that he is having pain and can’t keep up with his group. He gets left behind and just lays in the yard by himself. Then the chickens and Rouen ducks pick on him.
4918BB70-9A18-4CF2-A993-876F60E20D92.jpeg

Attachments

• 05928D23-8A6C-4DD1-A7C7-F4EC6C9AF41E.jpeg
    05928D23-8A6C-4DD1-A7C7-F4EC6C9AF41E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Buddy is about 8 weeks and has struggled to keep up with the others. He can only walk a couple yards at a time then has to lay down. His leg joints remain swollen. He has wet feather. All area avian vets are booked. I’ve treated all the Pekins with B complex 1 ml daily for several weeks. Now, my rouens are on top of him, scratched his back and drew blood, so now the chickens are pecking at him. I now have him in his own fence along with another Pekin who is slightly lame but not as bad.

I want to simply purchase and administer whatever antibiotic/anti inflammatory/or whatever else is recommended. I’m willing to inject if necessary.
Please, can somebody tell me what I can buy at a farm store to treat him? I’ll do anything to improve his quality of life. These are my pets and watching them flourish is therapy for me, like an aquarium is therapy for others. Thank you!!

Let me tag some members who know about meds and doseage, does Buddy get pool time? giving him pool tie daily he can wash himself real good and preen his feathers and get the oil from his preen gland spread all over his feathers.

He will need a safe way in and out of the pool too. Swimming will also help build muscle in his legs.

@casportpony
@Isaac 0

So sorry! Thats sad. It’s a good thing u seperated Buddy and his friend. Is there a pool for him so he can clean himself? So far I think you are doing good, and the dawn dish soap bath. I’m not that experienced with ducks that much so I hope someone more experienced can answer. Hope buddy and his friend feel better!

Let me tag some members who know about meds and doseage, does Buddy get pool time? giving him pool tie daily he can wash himself real good and preen his feathers and get the oil from his preen gland spread all over his feathers.

He will need a safe way in and out of the pool too. Swimming will also help build muscle in his legs.

@casportpony
@Isaac 0
Oh, thank you!!

He rarely wants in the pool. When he gets wet, he stays wet for hours. We will bathe him tonight and blow dry him, and hope it helps.

thank you!!

Yes, scheduling 2-3 weeks out. He needs treatment sooner. I can’t afford emergency visits. Hoping someone here can give me immediate insight so I can get the ball rolling for him.

Back
Top Bottom