Pekin x Blue Swedish Cross Ducklings... or at least I think so?

icyangel222

Songster
7 Years
Nov 5, 2012
MN
Ok, this morning I hatched 2 ducklings out of our own eggs, one's obviously a pekin/blue swed cross but the other is a little odd.

At this time I only have 1 drake - blue swed and 2 pekin hens, 1 blue swed hen, and 1 black swed hen.

The duckling in question appears to mostly favor the blue swed appearance but has the eye bands stretch all the way to the back of it's head. And the things that confuse me the most is the black (or dark blue) spot on it's back. It also has some rusty coloration at the base of it's tail. The feet seem to carry some black coloration along with blue. So I'm wondering why it might have these unusual markings. And I'm not certain if it would be a pure swed or a pekin cross, but I think most likely it's a pekin cross...

Ok, this morning I hatched 2 ducklings out of our own eggs, one's obviously a pekin/blue swed cross but the other is a little odd.

At this time I only have 1 drake - blue swed and 2 pekin hens, 1 blue swed hen, and 1 black swed hen.

The duckling in question appears to mostly favor the blue swed appearance but has the eye bands stretch all the way to the back of it's head. And the things that confuse me the most is the black (or dark blue) spot on it's back. It also has some rusty coloration at the base of it's tail. The feet seem to carry some black coloration along with blue. So I'm wondering why it might have these unusual markings. And I'm not certain if it would be a pure swed or a pekin cross, but I think most likely it's a pekin cross...

I'm curious, did they grow up to be decent layers? I have a swedish drake and two pekin females and curious if the offspring would be a decent duck for eggs (presumably somewhere in between a pekin and a swedish?)

Back
Top Bottom