Peking with mobility issues

If she is currently laying maybe she became eggbound after you picked her up? But not sure. While my girl was having egg laying issues if I touched anywhere near her vent it would cause a reaction similar to what that picture you posted looks like. Does what she is doing look anything like this?
https://youtube.com/shorts/bt2cOxEsDN8
She layed an egg today.

No. She isn't moving like that. She is tucking it under to help her walk. I helped her into the pool today and she was so happy. Wing flaps, dips, and good grooming. She stayed in for 15 mins before she got herself out.

She could very well have arthritis, ducks of any age are prone to arthritis and from my expierience with my own Perkins they are even more so. My 14 year old holds her feet exactly like that.
What do you do for yours? I found a vet that will see her, but they are not experts.

What do you do for yours? I found a vet that will see her, but they are not experts.
There isn’t much to do besides give painkillers or natural painkillers like apple cider vinegar or tart cherry extract and keep them comfortable, keep them in a smaller area so they don’t have to go far for food and water but give them plenty of time in deep water to get their weight off their feet.

She's in a small area now. With a moss and pine straw floor. I'm trying to put her in the pool a few times a day. I'll start her on some apple cider vinegar in the water. Thanks for the advice!

It's been 24 hours and she already seems easier off. She has started grooming and talking to the other ducks. I'm looking for quality of life at this point. I do not want her to suffer for my sake.

She's in a small area now. With a moss and pine straw floor. I'm trying to put her in the pool a few times a day. I'll start her on some apple cider vinegar in the water. Thanks for the advice!

It's been 24 hours and she already seems easier off. She has started grooming and talking to the other ducks. I'm looking for quality of life at this point. I do not want her to suffer for my sake.
In addition to pain reliever medication my duck with arthritis just started cold laser therapy today. I'll see if that helps!

We keep her on 3-5 layers of fluffy towels inside, 6 inches of fluffed straw outside, or grass. I also keep her foraging walks to a minimum, keep her food and water near, give her slightly warm baths in a deep tub, and make sure I keep her warm. All these things were recommended by our avian vet.

I'm happy to hear that your new duck is seeming to feel better. Quality of life is also very important for me.

Back
Top Bottom