Pellet stove exhaust

But ... "IF" it has a positive pressure exhaust fan* ... it should be able to handle a elbow ... only the owners manual or installation instructions will really tell ... how many horizontal feet, and how many elbows are allowed for safe operations.

*Sometimes called "power vented"

If it has straightening vanes in the pipe above the fan, it shouldn't cause a problem with the flow. If not it will cause cyclonic flow, which can cause havoc on the flow.

But ... "IF" it has a positive pressure exhaust fan* ... it should be able to handle a elbow ... only the owners manual or installation instructions will really tell ... how many horizontal feet, and how many elbows are allowed for safe operations.
Yes, @Kayla's Lunch check the installment instructions!

Looking at the picture again ... it does have a down turned termination, which would indicate that it does have fan assisted exhaust ...

While it can be a very clean burning system ... there is a reason it is vented outside of the house ...

Looking at the picture again ... it does have a down turned termination, which would indicate that it does have fan assisted exhaust ...
I was wondering if that could be turned to the side to go thru coop/run wall,
it looks really close so might not even need an extension.

We have a pellet stove also, it puts out a small amount of ash but no smoke when running. The issue would be, it does throw a few small embers and that would be a bedding or litter concern in your coop. It doesnt draw the same as a wood stove so from what I can tell it wouldnt be an issue to turn the pipe up or even just extend it out the other side of the coop. We put a small planter under our vent pipe to collect the small amount of ash and what ever embers it might throw because ours vents right beside the house into flower beds with wood chips. I personally wouldnt let it just vent into the coop with the chickens because of carbon dioxide and when you first fire up the stove it does smoke out the vent before the pellet tray lights completely. I just looked at your picture and absolutely you shouldnt keep it the way you have it, with the hay bale near the vent.

Thanks for all your input. We decided to err on the side of caution and we are going to move the pellet stove to a different place so that it doesn't vent out into the run. We didn't want to go vertical with the pipe because the run is covered with vinyl corrugated roofing. We weren't sure that we could make the roof secure and leak proof once we cut into the roof. The pellet stove is in our kitchen, so we will move it across the room.

Back
Top Bottom