Pellet VS Crumble

m_herrington

Songster
14 Years
Apr 18, 2008
ohio
I have 40, 6-7 week old pullets.

I have been getting chic starter grower in what I guess is a crumble. Last time I went to the feed store what they gave me was chic starter grower pellet 21%.

What is the difference? Should they still be eating the crumble?

Do you feed crumble until they are laying age? Then switch to a layer ration? Or is there a middle step?

Thank You.

They need grower food until they are of laying age. Approx. 17 weeks. We used to feed crumbles but switched to pellets and have much less waste. Ours are laying now. We can only find the pellets at one store though. Most places do not even know they exist. Hope that helps!
roll.png

I've never seen a starter/grower pellet. That doesn't mean that it isn't out there, I've just never seen it. You might want to double check that. If it is truly a starter/grower, then I think it would be fine to use for that age. I plan on switching my chicks over to laying pellets from the crumbles once they start laying because I've hear that using the pellets there is less waste.

The label says:

1044PL Kalmbach Duck, Goose, Chick & Gamebird Starter Grower Pel

a non-medicated complete feed formulated for starting and growing ducks, geese, chickens, and gamebirds

I mostly have Golden Comets that are supposed to start laying as early as 15 weeks.

Should I wait to feed the layer pellets until they actually start laying...

OR start them on the layer at 14-15 weeks?

Back
Top Bottom