Pelleted Feed

Chick_in_Indiana

Songster
12 Years
Dec 14, 2007
NE Indiana
Where can I find the pellets?? Layers or growers? I here they are easier for the ducks to eat w/ less waste. I live in NE Indiana. I checked TSC and Rural King. Thanks, Krista

mine will eat either

I get both crumbles and pallets at TSC and Agway
idunno.gif

Jim,
Do you use DE? I'm trying to find a local source for it, and haven't had any luck as of yet. I am about 15 miles north of FW.

im near lafayette and havent found pellets either and they just raised the cost of the chick feed at Rural King! The layer crumbles only went up .50 but they changed from 50 to 40 lb bags, at same price, over the winter

I'll take this opportunity to teach about a portion of the feed manufacturing industry.

All crumbles were pelleted. The produce a crumble the pellet is passed through a "crumblizer" that crushes the pellet to make the crumble. A very few producers use a "short cut" pellet to make a crumble. This is accomplished by setting the scalping knife very close to the pellet die to make a very short pellet.

Pelleting of livestock feeds accomplishes two things: first it improves the digestibility of the carbohydrate portion of the feed by changing the structure of the starches. Second, pelleting prevents the sorting of ingredients by animals locks the mixture of feed that an animal consumes.

Jim

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

I'll take this opportunity to teach about a portion of the feed manufacturing industry.

All crumbles were pelleted. The produce a crumble the pellet is passed through a "crumblizer" that crushes the pellet to make the crumble. A very few producers use a "short cut" pellet to make a crumble. This is accomplished by setting the scalping knife very close to the pellet die to make a very short pellet.

Pelleting of livestock feeds accomplishes two things: first it improves the digestibility of the carbohydrate portion of the feed by changing the structure of the starches. Second, pelleting prevents the sorting of ingredients by animals locks the mixture of feed that an animal consumes.

Jim

Good info!​

Heinold Feed out of Kouts, Indiana has a wonderful line of poultry feed and I swear by their 20% Poultry & gamebird pellet. That is what all our waterfowl & turkeys eat.

We also use their layer, chick starter, grower, and turkey starter.
we use some purina poultry feeds as well, but the Heinold line is great.

Christie
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom