Pellets, crumble or mash? Please weigh in!

ThinkingChickens

Songster
8 Years
Feb 18, 2011
I know that each chicken owner feeds their flock a bit differently and I was hoping you might weigh in on whether you feed pellets, crumble or mash and why? I don't want to start a debate, but though I might glean some wisdom. Recently a local chicken farmer (who loves his girls as much as I love mine) was telling me what he feeds and I thought I'd love to hear what the group has to say.

Also, as a side note, what things other than layer feed do you feed your girls and how often and how much?

I love to feed seeds and grains (see my BYC page) but also buy organic chick starter crumbles for up to age 8 weeks and organic layer pellets for treats on occasion.

I like the pellets because I can toss out a cupful to the girls and they will find/eat every one of them. Crumbles are good for chicks.

My daily feed for my adults consist of Lay pellets, corn, and floating catfish food. Greens, seeds, treats, etc. are feed at different levels at different times of the year or from what is on hand. Lay pellets are less messy and easier for me. I like to free range when conditions and predators allow. When I free range the chickens get most of what they need and in turn eat less feed.

Mine free range and forage, get kitchen scraps through access to my compost pile, and get excess stuff from the garden. I don't tighrly control what they eat since they forage.

When I have nothing but adults in the flock, they get Layer pellets. I find they will eat more of what they spill if it is in pellet form.

When I have underaged chickens in the flock and I don't want them to have access to the higher calcium Layer, the entire flock gets either 20% Starter/Grower combination, 16% Grower, or 20% Flock Raiser crumbles with oyster shell offered on the side. My preference is the 16% Grower but a lot of times that is not available at the store. If I had a choice, I'd get pellets for these also but pellets are not available at my store except for Layer. If I had a broody with chicks under a month old, I would feed crumbles, but otherwise pellets if it were available.

Chicks in a brooder get Starter the first 4 to 6 weeks, depending on when the bag runs out. Chicks being raised by a broody hen wind up foraging for most of their food anyway so I figure Grower is a good enough supplement.

I feed crumbles because my birds seem to prefer it over pellets.

I feed my girls who are almost a year old Purina Layena Crumbles. I started them on crumbles from day one, they like it so why fix something not broke. I don't see alot of waste but if pellets are the same food, saving money by not wasting is a good thing.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom