Pellets or crumbles?

mpgo4th

Songster
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
I just got my chicks their second 50 lbs bag of southern states medicated start & grow. While I was there I spoke to the chicken feed "guru" about a feeding program for my birds. She said to leave them on the start & grow with AMP until 16 weeks then put them on their all grain layer. She said that they sell very little of the traditions layer but that the all grain layer is their best selling product. It's 14.99 a 50 lbs. bag. One thing I forgot to ask is should I use the pellets or the crumbles? My birds have been on crumbles since day one and they eat it very well, but they do throw it around and waste some. Is it just owners choice or are some chickens picky over texture?

I wish I could switch to pellets mine dispise it!! i went from crumbles to mash!!! its so cheap im not worried about some of it being spilled, they really eat it up and the eggs havent been/looked better!!! Good luck

Aldo

I wish I could switch to pellets mine dispise it!! i went from crumbles to mash!!! its so cheap im not worried about some of it being spilled, they really eat it up and the eggs havent been/looked better!!! Good luck

Aldo
Is the mash cheaper? Did yours not eat the crumbles either?

lol yes its the same things as crumbles or pellets but smached up fine , they were ok with crumbles hated pellets i bought 3 bags and one bag of pellets got mixed up so i said why not, they barely touched it for three days,so i took it and put it in a blender(in order to salvage what I had) and mixed it with oyster shell and made my own mash with high calcium outta it.....THEY LOVED IT

A pellet is less wasteful. mine are still on a crumb, but i will be changing that soon as i can, the waste is silly and their are only 4! I too can get a layer mash, from what i have seen of it, not as processed, more natural state of similar ingredients found in the pellets/crumble.

The only concern i have with a layer mash, is them picking out certain things, leaving others.

Mash can be a homogeneous powder (like crushed up pellets) or it can be whole grains with a powdered mineral mix, fishmeal & powdered calcium. Mine has whole grain wheat, oats & smaller grains with cracked corn & peas, along with powdered minerals, fishmeal, crab meal & aragonite for calcium.

Back
Top Bottom