Pellets vs. Crumbles

I've used pellets, crumbles, and mash feeds. They all work if managed properly. At present I'm using crumbles because my feed dealer doesn't carry the Flock Raiser pellets and it's not important enough to me to go through the bother of special ordering them.

.....Alan.

I switched to pellets to reduce waste. It was killing me to see such a big pile of wasted food below the feeder. I could watch them flipping the feed sideways out of the feeder for no better reason than they can. I made it worse by mistakenly adding scratch to their feeder as a hidden treat. That really got them going...like a kid pouring out the cereal to get to the prize.

The other thing I did was make a feeder ring out of a large plastic house plant dish (19 inch) with the center cut out and drilling holes in it with a hole saw. Prevents them from biling out the feed. I didn't see where they made a ring for the 5 gal feeder. I bet I cut my usage by 30 to 50%. I need to modify the holes because their combs rub on the plastic hole. I will try to make the hole tear drop shaped and hit it with a propane torch to smooth the edges.

I will have to post pictures when I get home from work (in 3 days).

digitS' :

What Sillybirds said.

However, my birds nearly stopped eating when I presented them with pellets, so it isn't just my "personal preference." They like crumbles.

Steve

That was problem as well. My birds would not eat pellets. I gave them four days to adjust and eat them but they never did. When I put crumbles back in the feeders, I thaught they were going to kill ME getting to them! So for us, crumbles it is.​

My layers HATE the pellets(but the darn roosters love it-even though there is Flock Raiser in there for them
roll.png
).
Does anyone know a good brand of Layer Crumble that is available in Texas? So far, I have had no luck finding the crumbles.

My chickens will eat the pellets only after finishing the grain, and ranging for the day. I tried the crumbles but it tends to make them sneeze alot. Homemade squeaker toy
lau.gif

Mine really like the crumbles. With my home-made bucket feeder, I find no waste/spillage. But they do spill from the store bought feeder (as somebody mentioned already, they sling it like they're panning for gold sometimes). On the plus side, I do find them pecking around the spillage too
smile.png

My flock went start on pellets when I changed them to layer feed and it does seem there is less waste, they don't mind eating the pellets off the ground. I was thinking about changing the brand of feed the other a from Dumor to Purina Layena but I read the ingredients and they are pretty much the same but Purina is 50 cent more a bag. I stuck with my Dumor since they do well on it.

Feed what is easiest for you. Chickens prefer? My chickens love to eat, crumbs- pellets makes no never mind. I can garauntee if they get hungry they will eat whatever is presented. They will not starve to death when shown pellets. It would have to be some real stupid chickens to starve themselves.
Bantams, heavies, broilers, whatever they ain't gonna choke on a pellet. You ever see what a free range chicken gets down into his gullet? Rocks, marbles, glass, nails, kids toys, a pellet won't be a problem.
Supplement oyster shell, why? If it is laying pellets it has all the Ca needed. To break it down? Pellets are compressed crumbs, they ain't glued. The grain portion of the pellet is ground just as fine as the grain in a crumb. If the chickens are not raised on the ground or free ranged you may want to supplement GRIT not oyster shell. But that requirement would be equally desired with the use of crumbs and pellets.

Back
Top Bottom