Pellets vs Crumbles

i use pellets and chops 20% chops i have 10 breeds all get the same. eggs are good size yellow yokes best layers on this black wyandottes 10 hens 9 eggs evey day best layers and i have every kind of wyandotte excecpt for whites

hi
I tried my flock on pellets they really dont like them,
i then tried them on mash and they dont like that either and they waste a whole lot.
i then decided on a compromise I mix crumbles with what they call mixed fowl food here and add hulled sunflower, wheat, barley, oats, linseed and millet. they love the mix and if i dont fill the all the feeders to the top every day they eat every last seed - i mean besides what they spill!!
I was just concerned that if i gave only mixed fowl food with out the balanced crumbles or pellets or mash they would be missing some important nutrients in their diet.
they are super glossy and growing really well no eggs yet but happy healthy chookens

My girls are on pellets and HATE them! They will take out the pellets and leave them. They will eat soaked pellets, but this makes for food waste because it needs to be tossed everyday. Only good for ration feeding. We can see the benefit of less waste if the chicken will EAT the pellets. Next bag will be crumbles.

My birds were not crazy about the pellets either but not all pellets are equal. While they were not crazy about the Nutrena and Southern States pellets they very much liked the ADM PenPals pellet. The penpals egg maker is a significantly smaller pellet than most use.

Amen on this one. I usually buy my layer pellets at the usual, but now and then if I'm somewhere else and need a bag, I'll buy them there. The girls seem to notice when I change brands. They still go back to the usual in 2 weeks when the next bag comes in, though.

I have had some trouble getting them to switch from crumbles to pellets, but hunger seems to get them to see it my way.

I must be lucky. My hens tend to eat almost everything (crumble, pellet, scratch & peck, grass clipping from lawn, peel raw potatoes, cabbage, tomato, bread, water melon, left over pop corn, left over food from the kids, etc..).

Back
Top Bottom