1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pellets Vs Crumbles

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chuck70, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Chuck70

Chuck70 Out Of The Brooder

so I wondering what is better to feed my ladies.....pellets or Crumbles? So please give me some advise I will take all I can get.

2. g67fam

g67fam Chillin' With My Peeps

I've wondered the same thing. Good question

3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    It's really a matter of personal preference I think, but me personally? I prefer and only use layer crumbles. I've just always had it in the back of my mind .. "all those pellets going down into their crop like little bullets...hmmmmm"

Just my preference! [​IMG]

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    My husband bought pellets once. I thought.. wow! Cool. But I've always stuck with crumbles. Like the PP stated, it is probably easier to digest.

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I would say try them both and see what your birds like better. Some people swear by pellets as being less wasteful, I had the opposite experience. My birds hated them, especially my smaller bantams, and they threw them everywhere looking for something else. Gave them their crumbles back, happy birds, no more food on the floor. Bored birds will also waste more food then busy birds with room to roam. My birds only go into the coop to eat then they are back out to the pasture, so they don't entertain themselves with sorting and billing food out onto the floor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by