Pellets vs. Crumbles

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by momofchicks, Oct 24, 2008.

1. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    I have noticed lately that the layer crumbles I am getting seem to be a lot more dust than actual food. Should I switch to pellets? I don't know if the cost is any different but how do the chickens do with the larger food? Can pellets be bad for any certain breed? Any insight will be helpful.
    Thanks

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    In my experience, they waste a LOT less food if you feed the pellets.

As long as your guys are old enough to be off starter crumbles, feed the pellets. I don't know of any type of chicken that can't handle the pellets as long as they are old enough.

3. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    I like pellets better, but sadly my chickens do not, so I buy crumbles. Maybe yours will like them tho... Might as well give them a shot or try a diff brand of crumbles.

4. setter4

setter4 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Central Pennsylvania
    I just switched with the last bag I bought. I thought at first that they wren't going to eat the pellets but after a week they are eating them fine and I have waaaaay less waste and mess.

5. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    I prefer pellets. They are a lot less wasteful. Unfortunately, the feed stores closest to me don't carry pellets so I usually end up with crumbles.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:You didn't let them get hungry enough. An animal won't starve themselves to death if there is appropriate feed available.
    Layer pellets mean much less waste.

7. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    I switched because my feedstore ran out of crumbles. I really like them a lot -much less waste.
    They smell good too and I would never say that about crumbles!

8. Maryallison77

Maryallison77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    [​IMG] I had the same concerns as you at 1st. The pellets are sooooo much better! Alot less waste! And they eat it up just fine. [​IMG]

9. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    I feed the laying mash because the smell from the poop when feeding pellets was gross.

10. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I've got crumbles at the moment, but am hoping to switch to pellets in a few months here [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by