Pen Construction? Where can I buy hardwire mesh.

Northeastdude

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
I'd like to build a simple sturdy wire and wood pen. Where do you guys usually buy hardwire mesh? I have coyotes near me, usually not in the backyard, but cannot hurt to be careful.

Hi!

I had a similar situation and great success with "diamond steel mesh" from Lowe's.

It comes in sections 8ft long by 27 inches wide for about $8 per section. It's used in masonry... probably concrete reinforcement. It's sturdy (about 1/8 thick), and a small mesh. Very strong, but won't rust. Top and bottom edges are smooth along the 8 ft. Cuts easily with snips.

I built a circular exercise area for our 2 ducks out of this and steel U-posts, using zip-ties to hold the mesh in place. 2 sheets high makes the pen about 45 inches tall (with overlap).

The gate was the best part, though. I found that if I rip through 1 side of a 3/4 inch pvc pipe, I can slide it over the edges of the mesh. The pvc is cheap, easy to work with and adds a lot of rigid strength to the gate. Also eliminates any sharp edges.

Don't know exactly what kind of pen you need, but I can testify that this is the strongest and easiest stuff to work with that I've found.

Let me know how it works out for you!

You can get hardware cloth at almost any hardware store, plus most farm and home stores. I saw some at Orscheln's the other day.

I was thinking of stapling panels of hardware cloth to wooden frames about 6 ft high by 20 feet long. To fashion as rectangular pen. I plan on keeping 12 ducks.

Thanks I'll check out lowes and home depot.

Quote:
yup, just came from there, oogled at the chicks a bit and threw chick food and layer pellets in the cart. When i walked out i saw they had all sorts of fencing material .

Quote:
Hey stormdog i also use that also for some of just small cages it is called metal lath used for stucco and rock laying and it is usually found in the lumber department in lowe's at the concrete its about the right height for small cages like rabbits and such great stuff hope this helps someone
cool.png

The warning about TSC is correct...

I'm a huge fan of OSH, and here they have aviary wire (1/2") at 48" widths for 1.70 per linear foot.

However, if you aren't as freaked out/paranoid about rats getting in, then you could get 1", and it's cheaper, I think around a buck a foot for 48" wide.

Back
Top Bottom