pen question

Kacey52

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 27, 2012
What do you put in your duck pens? I put straw in mine but it seems to get wet and dirty really fast.
ep.gif
right? lol Anyway I raked the straw out and laid some slate rocks down that I had laying around, then I put fresh straw on top. I didn't have enough rocks to cover the whole floor but it's at least under where their food and water is. I then put their water up an some pavers and hung their food dish from the side of the pen. This morning when I let them out it looked wet all around by their water dish. So, what do you do to keep things dry?

I've tried everything under the sun but finally settled on sand. It works wonders for the smell here!

I've tried everything under the sun but finally settled on sand. It works wonders for the smell here!

After the talk last year on BYC about sand I decided to give it a try. I will never use anything else. Our winter rains have started and the pens are mud free. I keep wood pellet bedding in the covered areas for nesting but have sand everywhere else. Just needs a little raking now and again very easy.

I've heard similar stories about that in areas with a lot of rain fall. Luckily down here rain is scarce so it doesn't seem to have any negative effects on the sand.

Kevin, you may have answered this in previous threads but kindly indulge me.
So with the sand, what's the maintenance on that? Do you just scoop the poop out everyday?

Kevin, you may have answered this in previous threads but kindly indulge me.
So with the sand, what's the maintenance on that? Do you just scoop the poop out everyday?
I literally treat it like a giant ferret litter box. I'll just grab a rake and shovel and scoop the poop into the trash. It takes maybe 10 minutes if that a day. Sometimes we will get pretty bad storms then I just pick up a bit more sand to add to the area.

I bought a portable poultry net electric fence from Kencove. I'ts 40x40, so it never gets worn down and muddy like a smaller permanent pen would. I only moved it a couple of times all summer, and that was just so I could mow where the pasture had been.

For the duck house, I use the deep litter method with coarse pine shavings.

Back
Top Bottom