Pen Size?

DuckDodgers

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 1, 2013
OK so I wanted to get some red golden pheasants or some peacock pheasants( haven't decided which yet) and was wondering if a 4.5 ft x 5.6 ft pen would work for a single breeding pair? Also is 4ft tall OK?
Forgot to mention that the would share an already build house with my ducks.

Last edited:
Is this your first pair of pheasants?If so,I would suggest you start with red goldens as grey peacock are a little more challenging.That size pen is way to small,it should be at least 5x10 and I'd prefer to be able to walk into the pen comfortabily.Being with ducks are ok if their pen is huge so the pheasants would not be in water all the time.If you plan on all of them in a 4.5x5.6 pen that will definetly cause problems.Besides the ducks need a different feed then pheasants.Read up a little before you make your decision.
In N.H.,Tony.

Is this your first pair of pheasants?If so,I would suggest you start with red goldens as grey peacock are a little more challenging.That size pen is way to small,it should be at least 5x10 and I'd prefer to be able to walk into the pen comfortabily.Being with ducks are ok if their pen is huge so the pheasants would not be in water all the time.If you plan on all of them in a 4.5x5.6 pen that will definetly cause problems.Besides the ducks need a different feed then pheasants.Read up a little before you make your decision.
In N.H.,Tony.

Ok I will get red goldens and I will make the pen way bigger thank-you for your help

Also What is the minimum sq-ft per bird they need? and do they need to be locked up in a coop at night like chickens or ducks?

No they do not need to be locked up at night.They do need to be in a covered pen,whether it's wire or metal,but something.They will fly out if not covered.Only ringnecks are required to have specific sq footage.A 5x10 will house a trio.They also need perches,but not to hi so something can reach down and grab them from the top.Also they should not be house near chickens as chickens can give them diseases.
In N.H.,Tony.

No they do not need to be locked up at night.They do need to be in a covered pen,whether it's wire or metal,but something.They will fly out if not covered.Only ringnecks are required to have specific sq footage.A 5x10 will house a trio.They also need perches,but not to hi so something can reach down and grab them from the top.Also they should not be house near chickens as chickens can give them diseases.
In N.H.,Tony.

Ok how tall does the pen need to be? 4ft? 5ft? 6ft?...

The only problem with a low pen is your roost will be low also.Pheasants love to roost hi.If you look at my pens the part that starts like a house roof is their roost.And it is about 30" to the top of the pen.It also provides wind protection with the metal roofing.
In N.H.,Tony.

The only problem with a low pen is your roost will be low also.Pheasants love to roost hi.If you look at my pens the part that starts like a house roof is their roost.And it is about 30" to the top of the pen.It also provides wind protection with the metal roofing.
In N.H.,Tony.

OK thanks again for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom