Penguin walking- no egg for 5 days

Here chicky chicky

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 7, 2008
year old RIR showed up at coop acting weird Friday night. She woudlnt roost, but stayed on the ground. Next day we looked more closely.... she penguin walks and drags her behind. We gave her a warm bath, calcium, olive oil, and felt for an egg. Still, 5 days later she is acting the same. We have her secluded and she has not laid an egg. She poops pale yellow and watery, it looks like a mixed egg (no shells) . She is acting alert. Drinking. If she's eating its minimal. But believe it or not she doesnt seem to be in pain. Now she just wants to sit. The penguin walk made me think she was egg bound, but now I wonder if its Mericks (sp?) or if maybe she was injured. No obvious injuries. But we do have a hundred pound turkey and horses and dogs. Any ideas? No egg in days. What makes them stop laying?

Hey there.

Penguin walking is one of those big signs for being eggbound, not to mention the fact that you haven't gotten eggs for five days. And you're right....the discharge from her vent area could be some smashed eggs.....

Wow, sounds like you've already done all the things I would have suggested though.....perhaps you could put her on some duramayacin in her drinking water and give her some electrolites.....see if she responds.

Did you feel anything when you checked her vent? Maybe she still has a blockage......?

Good luck with her, sounds like you're doing a great job.

Sharon

I agree- you need to repeat those hour-long warm belly baths many times to dilate the chute and get that mess out of there. Otherwise you could end up with 'cooked' eggs in there and a major case of peritonitis- get her away from the others to a warm place where you can treat her, or she will be gone, in pain. Any sign of prolapse at her vent?

Last edited:
i'm almost positive she's eggbound. sometimes what helps is to put some olive oil on and around her vent, and to seperate her from the rest of the flock for a few days. if it doesn't clear up, then you might be out of luck!
hu.gif
sad.png
hit.gif

Awwww - poor hen. If at all possible, medical intervention by an avian vet would be advisable at this point - she will have heart failure if she can't get that egg out (assuming she's eggbound, which it sounds like she is...). 5 days has likely seemed an eternity for her at this point. Do crush up a Tums and mix with a bit of water - put in a dropper and gently dribble along her beak line so she swallows withouut choking. Sending good wishes and hoping very much that it works out for her.
fl.gif

Please keep us posted.
JJ

Thanks for all the replies.
We will keep at it. I really do not feel an egg.... but that walk really says volumes doesnt it.
I'll post when she's up and running around the yard again (postive thinking you know!)
big_smile.png

A bit off topic but not totally... I cant believe how many vets around me do not treat farm birds! They call them exotic pets. Thats sad. When did farm animals become exotic?
hu.gif

Quote:
I did try the tums twice previously and nothing happened.
hu.gif
I am so not sure what's wrong with the poor thing. She did just enjoy a nice long spa bath... I have my fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom