Penicillin G Potassium, anyone?

DillardHome

Songster
12 Years
Sep 2, 2009
Claxton, GA
Has anyone tried using this for a respiratory infection in your chicken? I read it is used for turkeys to treat erysipelas, and it shouldn't be used on turkeys laying eggs for human consumption.

If it is ok to use for my chicken's "cold" I am wondering if I not use her eggs during treatment and a few days after her last "dose", would her eggs be ok to eat?

Thanks in advance.

I do not know the answer to your question, but I hope someone comes along soon that can help you. I have just been through not knowing what meds to give or what to do about egg production during medication.

I would be surprised if the penicillin did the job on the respiratory infection, since usually the bacteria they have do not respond to penicillin.
If you can get baytril that will work for you.

In any event, you need to dispose of the eggs when using penicillin. I myself, eat a lot of eggs that they reccomend be thrown away and I am doubtful about eggs containing much of any drug that we give. just my opinion...I digress....

2 weeks is the usual disposal time. If you are allergic to penicillin, I might wait longer just incase. Now baytril....if you do use that definatley throw the eggs out. Baytril is not used in human medicine due to some real bad side effects and I would wait 3 weeks with that to be on the safe side. It's one thing to risk penicillin, especially if you are not allergic to it, but dont mess with baytril.

*2 weeks after last dose*

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom