Penicillin injection went wrong šŸ˜¢šŸ˜­šŸ˜¢

My 3 chix

Chirping
May 5, 2018
I have two Silkie hens that had respiratory infection. Iā€™ve been giving IM injections of penicillin in the breast muscle. My one hen is very skinny so I had a hard time finding her breast muscle. I have given 3 shots successfully and their symptoms seem to be getting a little bit better. This morning I gave the injection and the second hen went into convulsions and died. The injection was on the right side and not deeper than her ribs so I donā€™t feel that it was going into her heart it a vital organ. Is it possible that I was in a blood vessel and it went to her heart? I hate having to play Dr to these little girls but the one time I took one to the vet it was $500! These are my pets but wow! I feel so bad and now Iā€™m afraid to continue the regimen of antibiotics on my other hen. Of course this was one of my favorite hens. Oh heck theyā€™re all my favorite šŸ„ŗšŸ˜¢. Iā€™m so upset, I may have caused her death. But she would surely have died without antibiotics.

Attachments

• 48F00713-77F2-42CD-AE81-6BA39FE6D0EC.jpeg
    48F00713-77F2-42CD-AE81-6BA39FE6D0EC.jpeg
    452.8 KB · Views: 17
It is possible you were in a vein or blood vessel. It is important when doing IM injections to draw back a little on the plunger after inserting the syringe to make sure you don't see blood. If the needle is placed correctly you will see nothing/air. I don't know much about penicillin and toxicity levels though. So sorry this happened to you. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom