Penicillin injection went wrong 😢😭😢

My 3 chix

Chirping
May 5, 2018
I have two Silkie hens that had respiratory infection. I’ve been giving IM injections of penicillin in the breast muscle. My one hen is very skinny so I had a hard time finding her breast muscle. I have given 3 shots successfully and their symptoms seem to be getting a little bit better. This morning I gave the injection and the second hen went into convulsions and died. The injection was on the right side and not deeper than her ribs so I don’t feel that it was going into her heart it a vital organ. Is it possible that I was in a blood vessel and it went to her heart? I hate having to play Dr to these little girls but the one time I took one to the vet it was $500! These are my pets but wow! I feel so bad and now I’m afraid to continue the regimen of antibiotics on my other hen. Of course this was one of my favorite hens. Oh heck they’re all my favorite 🥺😢. I’m so upset, I may have caused her death. But she would surely have died without antibiotics.

Attachments

• 48F00713-77F2-42CD-AE81-6BA39FE6D0EC.jpeg
    48F00713-77F2-42CD-AE81-6BA39FE6D0EC.jpeg
    452.8 KB · Views: 17
It is possible you were in a vein or blood vessel. It is important when doing IM injections to draw back a little on the plunger after inserting the syringe to make sure you don't see blood. If the needle is placed correctly you will see nothing/air. I don't know much about penicillin and toxicity levels though. So sorry this happened to you. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom