Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Quote:
A better question might be, how long until predators take them all out?
ep.gif

Nam
I heard they have the best chance for survival on their own! Your right I have issue with the wild life coyotes have already thin my Piken ducks out but the remainders have learn how to survive.

OnlyMe
I’m very close about 30 miles southwest close to Uniontown/ Connellsville area.

NewTo
I’m new as well a few years now and really liking it. I found that thread after I posted this… this site is a goldmine of info but really difficult to locate answers.

You know guys I my try! A guy on the other site said he lived in Michigan we are not that bad. He said that the Reds would not survive but the Greys would so long as they have a simple shelter and are in wooded areas. NewTo these birds fly really well like wild turkeys and are the original chicken. I figure I will get some 1st of Summer to give them a chance with good weather.

Quote:
How much acreage would you need for them? I have just relocated to Georgia and I have some acreage but not sure if it would be enough for them. I have a cleared pasture and beyond that thick woods. That post I had referred you to has really made me interest in them.
I think it would be wise to wait till spring. You will have to let us know how it goes!

I’m not sure and have not had any good info on that. I know through reading all kinds of posts that they travel a mile/s. So is you use one mile as a reference than you would need about 25 acres. However, if you are in a rural setting with lots of acreage around they will rom. And there is no way to stop them traveling from place to place for food. Some other info I read is that a wooded area is best as this is close to the natural area. My real concern is that don’t become invasive to local habitat, but wild pheasant are set loose for hunters and I feel that this type of chicken will be no difference. I’m part of over 1800 acres both farms and a fowl reserve. I will look into local laws before I do anything.

Thank you! I don't have near the space for them but it sure sounds like you do. I wouldn't think they would be any different than pheasant but it would be best to check. Keep me posted. I would be very interested to see how it goes for you.

Back
Top Bottom