Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

2. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

Glad you got to have a 'group' learning experience for it... we did our first ourselves, we had done a lot of hunting type butchering, and I grew up with butchering of rabbits and other critters, but still would be nice for the 'group' thing. We got to see a demo done on it, and I had watched a bunch of demo and website type pics before we did the deed also. It is a much smoother process for us now that we've done it a few times!
    We got the plucker and scalder to do our own meat birds, so will most likely be doing that this summer. Thing is with it just being the two of us we have found our culled roos to actually provide quite a bit of our normal chicken usage... but then again, come summer I really like to do roaster birds and we smoke whole chickens, so I'm sure we will use a lot more chicken then.
    With it just being the two of us processing I think we will stick to 10 birds or less at a time till we get a lot better at it!

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

4. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Sally, we dunked in the hot water and pulled feathers to pluck. Wore medical gloves and girls agreed they helped grip and kept fingers a bit warmer.
    This was solely a teaching session because only I and SIL2B had processed before and he had only skinned and it had been years for me to actually do the entire process. Found out it's like riding a bike-- you don't forget. My girls and DIL wanted to learn to be selfsufficient. DD spent yesterday helping BF with pig/beef butchering. DIL wants to go organic and

5. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

6. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Speaking of self-sufficiency, time to start thinking about gardens, if you haven't already! Getting some seeds from the dollar tree 4 packs for a dollar, some are 2 for a buck.

7. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    DH complains that I start too soon when I start in March or April! [​IMG] But you told me to, so I will just blame you.

8. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  9. beaglady

beaglady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Pennsylvania

10. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    So precious, I want a broody that will commit. I have yet to have one, I think I might have one this year!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by