Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I never imagined people could buy a cow for 20 bucks!       

However......I don't know much about farming..............!    

wonder what it costs to raise, feed, house a cow------bull.............and then sell at the right time?

I've never had cows....it's on the list, though. These cows are dairy cows, they boys don't produce much milk, also they take longer to 'grow out' and even when they're grown out. They'll never produce the amount of meat, in the right places as a 'meat cow' would.

This is Biggie. 6 week old Black Jersey Giant. My question to you is: hen or roo? :)

I don't have this breed, a clearer picture of comb and wattles would help. From this pic at this age I would guess pullet.

Silkie they are adorable!!!

:welcome

Silkie, love the baby pics! So cute!

Hey guys, never been to the Green Dragon, but it's on my list to get to. Any suggestions? What's kinda stuff is there? Does anyone go to Zern's? I haven't been there since I was a kid. Is it even still open? :rolleyes:

Green Dragon Suggestions: if you're selling, get there by 3:30 to drop off or your stuff will sell really late and bring low prices. If you're buying. The auction starts at 6:30, large animals go at 8 and the auction lasts into the wee hours of the morning usually. When you leave the auction, go ahead and just burn your clothes. Ok, just kidding, but you should shower, wash your clothes and change your shoes before going near your own animals. And if you do buy any birds ANYWHERE, for Pete's sake, QUARANTINE, or risk losing your flock.

There is al kinds of food and flea market kinda stuff there during the day, hand bags, produce, leather goods, jewelry, sunglasses. The inside buildings have books, furniture, there's a shoe place I like that sells Mucks and all kinda other boots, a diner....oh boy, seems like any time I go, I find some new store I hadn't noticed before. Outside are so many booths and outbuildings that we wander around lost most of the time, calling each other on our cells, 'WHERE ARE YOU?!" -"Uhhhh, I have no idea where I am, where are you?" And then we wander around until we run into each other. This happened quite a few times last night.

Silkie- CUUUUTE chick pics!

Question to the rest of you:

I keep running into that odd poop I was talking about. The redness was an isolated incident. It is now all watery, white, and runny. There is almost no 'matter' to it.
I think I am going to worm, but as I understand different products treat for different things?
Is there an all in one type of thing? If not, what do you guys recommend I use?

I can provide pics of the poo if needed.

Hey guys, never been to the Green Dragon, but it's on my list to get to. Any suggestions? What's kinda stuff is there? Does anyone go to Zern's? I haven't been there since I was a kid. Is it even still open?
roll.png
Haven't been to the Green Dragon yet but my Mom's ex used to talk about hauling hay down there to sell back in the day. We used to go to New Holland and Leesport all the time though. I used to love to watch the auctions. We've recently been talking about getting down to the Green Dragon. I'll probably wait till after Christmas though simply because I know I'm going to want to bring something home and with Christmas shopping left to do I'll feel bad spending the money on bunnies or ducks or more chickens, etc.

Silkie- CUUUUTE chick pics!

Question to the rest of you:

I keep running into that odd poop I was talking about. The redness was an isolated incident. It is now all watery, white, and runny. There is almost no 'matter' to it.
I think I am going to worm, but as I understand different products treat for different things?

Is there an all in one type of thing? If not, what do you guys recommend I use?

I can provide pics of the poo if needed.

Thanks! I love my fuzz babies.

I use ivermectin pour on. Your feed store should have it with the cattle meds. It treats worms, mited, lice, fleas, ticks. I use it on all my animals except the goats. I use horse wormer on them.

I can post pics later, but one of my two speckled Sussex is missing a significant amount of feathers around the neck area. I just noticed a few day ago. The feathers on the neck are either completely gone or really short throughout the whole neck. Other then that, this chicken seems completely healthy and I don't have this problems with any others. I'm wondering what the explanation for this might be.

Thanks! I love my fuzz babies.

I use ivermectin pour on. Your feed store should have it with the cattle meds. It treats worms, mited, lice, fleas, ticks. I use it on all my animals except the goats. I use horse wormer on them.

Okay, thanks!
What does ivermectin treat for? Roundworms or is it a broad spectrum wormer?

Thank you Blarney and Kat, I will have to make the journey soon! When I have a little more extra money.
wink.png

Just got this in an email today. ROFL!

LOLOL

I will have to double check but I think the ivermectin covers just about everything chickens get. I don't think it covers heartworms for dogs, but I don't have a dog so didn't check that specifically. I never use anything else.

Back
Top Bottom