Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I just had to share... Through all the BS we are going through right now, I had a little gift delivered 2 days ago and another today. My Ameraucanas are LAYING! Well, at least one of them. They should have started 2 months ago, but figured they'd be like the last batch of late winter birds I hatched and start laying in January or February. Having those gorgeous turquoise eggs is a real treat.

It's crazy how something so small can make me giddy.
Not crazy, EGGciting!!
D.gif
yesss.gif
yippiechickie.gif

i agree im not planing on eating them i have only 8 but when their laying days are over i wanted to process them and give meat to a friend. i guess my question is at what age do chickens typically stop laying? im in this for the eggs period, yes they are 'pets' but im not going to spend money feeding them if they arn't holding up their end of the deal ! does that sound mean?

No. It isn't mean. You should have another year or two of good egg years. You will still get eggs after that. Decent numbers for a long time. I believe the chart I saw (some poultry magazine ) said if a hen laid 300/year, it would go down to 200/year in her third year.

i agree im not planing on eating them i have only 8 but when their laying days are over i wanted to process them and give meat to a friend. i guess my question is at what age do chickens typically stop laying? im in this for the eggs period, yes they are 'pets' but im not going to spend money feeding them if they arn't holding up their end of the deal ! does that sound mean?

Not to me! I believe that it makes you sound practical. There is a fine line between Pets and Dinner (Just Kidding).... Kind of. This discussion is getting attention on the NYD hatch thread as well. The most recent point I've heard was one I believe in firmly: the extra roosters that are hatched and then grown out and eaten here have lived a far better life than the Cornish Crosses we are routinely buying from the grocery store. The pigs I raised were out in the sunshine, they had grass, back scratches, ear rubs and, again, lived a far better life than production hogs. I can NOT, however eat venison OR my goats. It's just not a leap I'm ready to make -so I totally understand people who won't eat their poultry.

Reyvaugh, I totally get your thrill!! I got my first Partridge Orpington egg today, Ya Hooo!!?,

I just had to share... Through all the BS we are going through right now, I had a little gift delivered 2 days ago and another today.  My Ameraucanas are LAYING!  Well, at least one of them.  They should have started 2 months ago, but figured they'd be like the last batch of late winter birds I hatched and start laying in January or February.  Having those gorgeous turquoise eggs is a real treat. 

It's crazy how something so small can make me giddy.

Oh my gosh, I got the same gift a couple days ago from my lone Ameraucana pullet! Sooooo exciting to me too! :ya

Quote: wow!! that sounds so different then it did a year ago...I always got the feeling people on here thought I was a monster because of my way of thinking that it can not live here if it is not edible...

That works both ways also, I can now see things from the pet point of view also..

Now if I could just talk all of you into processing for yourselves instead of paying for it,

Meyer hatchery has a really good deal on broilers for today only, they must of had a large order cancel on them......If this would be more than just today I would get some,,,,,no cash till end of week and this is today only...

even with shipping cost, I can not get get these birds local for .99

Ray you interested,

wow!! that sounds so different then it did a year ago...I always got the feeling people on here thought I was a monster because of my way of thinking that it can not live here if it is not edible...

That works both ways also, I can now see things from the pet point of view also..

Now if I could just talk all of you into processing for yourselves instead of paying for it,
thumbsup.gif

Not to me! I believe that it makes you sound practical. There is a fine line between Pets and Dinner (Just Kidding).... Kind of. This discussion is getting attention on the NYD hatch thread as well. The most recent point I've heard was one I believe in firmly: the extra roosters that are hatched and then grown out and eaten here have lived a far better life than the Cornish Crosses we are routinely buying from the grocery store. The pigs I raised were out in the sunshine, they had grass, back scratches, ear rubs and, again, lived a far better life than production hogs. I can NOT, however eat venison OR my goats. It's just not a leap I'm ready to make -so I totally understand people who won't eat their poultry.

Reyvaugh, I totally get your thrill!! I got my first Partridge Orpington egg today, Ya Hooo!!?,
X's 2
thumbsup.gif

It was a challenge taking care of the chickens today in all the ice. Here are some pictures from the Poconos.

My son's ice sculpture.

Prints from around my coops and up my hill. My trap was frozen and I didn't see any prints near the trap. :(

The view from inside one of my runs.

Back
Top Bottom