Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

you must have been snoozing on that one,,,,, I do not usually go at night, but it makes sense that they would not do that during the busy part of the day when they want people buying the exspensive stuff..

bet it was because it was a Sunday night....not many people shop during the week....

Metzer Farms has a video on their site about sexing ducklings and goslings. Vent sexing is only safe in the first few days, I believe, so be careful if you try it.
In general, the females are darker colored, but that relative and not helpful if you only have 1 or 2 and they look similar.

Get a pic of their backs all lined up. The girls are usually lighter and the boys darker.
The one on the left in front (darkest) should be my only boy. The on in the middle in the back row looks darker in the pics than in person. I had one like that last year that I was concerned about being a boy and she wasn't. We'll see how well I did this year.

Thanks, mine seem to be the same shades, and I think they are lighter. I also watched the videos, and again I think they are females, but who knows. I am hoping that when they start to feather I will know. I will post pics, they are playing with my daughter.

My daughter said she wants to make sure they imprint on her.....lol
that is absolutely adorable! Do ducklings imprint or bond quicker then chicks do? I've had my chicks for about a week now and they love to flock to me for treats but only one will come out and jump up on my legs without treats (still looking for treats of course). About half of them have loosened up a little about me picking them up but only if I'm just moving them for a minute, they don't like to be held or cuddled. Am I on the right track here?

Your friendly one is a rooster. They are always the friendliest. The others will have their own personalities. Once they begin to lay, they are more likely to be cuddle bugs.

Your friendly one is a rooster. They are always the friendliest. The others will have their own personalities. Once they begin to lay, they are more likely to be cuddle bugs.

I gotta agree... it always seems like the most willing to jump on my hand or make friends ends up being a roo. There have been a few exceptions, but not often. And the hens are definitely calmer once they are laying.

a couple of weeks ago I posted pics of two of my broodies who decided it was easier to raise the 'kids' together... and they are still happily doing so as this little guy can attest...

They love jumping from one broody's back to another, with little Buzzy here taking a break between the two....
They treat Mindy like part of the flock...

And they were having so much fun being double broodies that they decided to make it a triple play!
Introducing Frannie (on left), hatchmate to Bess and Connie and now a broody mom herself, to 2 she hatched and 3 she adopted...

this group is constantly amazing me... Frannie still keeps her youngsters to herself at night (who are a week younger than Bess and Connie's hatch), but through the day it looks like a daycare gone crazy in their area, with babies of all sizes running everywhere. We have even had Rosie's group (who are now 5 weeks old) jump into the mix over the weekend without any problems, though Rosie has her group in the big bird pen most of the time now.

and Rosie's group have also decided that there is no reason to set on a cold floor, when there is a warm, fuzzy pup available for roosting on...

We didn't spend the whole weekend watching babies... honest!! We did take some time out to build a couple of wall feeders which did get the chicks' stamp of approval...

a couple of weeks ago I posted pics of two of my broodies who decided it was easier to raise the 'kids' together... and they are still happily doing so as this little guy can attest... They love jumping from one broody's back to another, with little Buzzy here taking a break between the two.... They treat Mindy like part of the flock... And they were having so much fun being double broodies that they decided to make it a triple play! Introducing Frannie (on left), hatchmate to Bess and Connie and now a broody mom herself, to 2 she hatched and 3 she adopted... this group is constantly amazing me... Frannie still keeps her youngsters to herself at night (who are a week younger than Bess and Connie's hatch), but through the day it looks like a daycare gone crazy in their area, with babies of all sizes running everywhere. We have even had Rosie's group (who are now 5 weeks old) jump into the mix over the weekend without any problems, though Rosie has her group in the big bird pen most of the time now. and Rosie's group have also decided that there is no reason to set on a cold floor, when there is a warm, fuzzy pup available for roosting on... We didn't spend the whole weekend watching babies... honest!! We did take some time out to build a couple of wall feeders which did get the chicks' stamp of approval...
Awwwwe your pics always just make me so happy. I'm running out of adjectives to describe them! Cute, adorable, etc are just getting old! Your pics are better than words! Day 19 is tomorrow morning! Hatchday is Thursday which is also Chippy's 3rd birthday.

Back
Top Bottom